Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

Ford Mondeo MK2 probs with PATS not recognizing key. Where

Ford Mondeo MK2 probs with PATS not recognizing key. Where is the PATS Module please.
JA: Is the key stripped or worn?
Customer: No tried three key all with same result. It was at first intermittant now no start. Have ordered new Transponder, which I assume connects to Module. Is the module in the same box as the C/Locking Module. I have been told that the Ignition Mobilliser is seperate system from C/L & Alarm
JA: What year is your Mondeo?
Customer: 1996 it's old but good runner until now
JA: Are you fixing your Mondeo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried a number of hints and tips, like key positions, but still comes backwith 'not recognised light flash code.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, no body appears to be able to locate where the Module is located or is intergrated in C/L Module.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
One further thing. When I crank the ignition switch, no starter but the main fans start running. Hope this may help

Thank you for your question and let me apologise for the delay in your answer. My name is Steve and I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade. Hopefully I can help.

The PATS module on your Mondeo should be up under the instrument panel lower trim:

The Manual states:

Disconnect battery, for right hand drive vehicles remove the instrument panel righthand side lower trim panel.

Detach the Passive anti-theft system (PATS) module from the retaining bracket.

I have attached a screenshot of the position.

The manual also advises that:

When installing a new immobiliser (PATS) module the red master key must be the first key used to start.

I would also add that the system changed in 1998 and after that point the PATS was incorporated into the powertrain control module.

I hope this answers your question but do feel free to ask for any further information using this thread, and I again I apologise that it took so long for you to get an answer.

If this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue.

Even after clicking accept you can continue to ask questions using this thread.

Many Thanks

Steve

Stephen Rothwell,
Experience: Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi, While waiting for replacement Transponder I found the PATs difficult to get at front clip easy, shroud at rear held by plastic shroud and hard to get at screw. Iassume the immobillizer cuts off earth to starter solenoid. If this earth was replaced by new wire bypassing immobillizer wire would this solve problem by bypassing PATS.

Looking at the diagram I have one wire comes from the PATs to the Powertrain control module, the wire to the starter then comes from the power train control module along with the wire to the immobiliser light.

The starter relay is an additional means of disabling the engine, so even if you get the starter turning the other systems will not allow the engine to fire.

There is a pin point test procedure I will try and scan it across so that I can send it to you. It is quite an extensive list, let me see what I can do.

Steve

I can't connect to print out and scan so have taken a picture of the screen to send you the tests for the PAT's

Let me know how it goes.

Steve

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks for the info

Hi there a couple more that didn't seem to come through, I have reattached them.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi Steve, Any chance you could send me a copy of the diagram showing the PATS to the Powertrain Control Module you spoke about on the 10th.

Mick
Yes no problem I am away from the computer at the moment but will be back later this afternoon and will send it over
Steve

I have connected the diagram, unfortunately the system wont allow me to connect the file so I have screen shot and attached, it is in two halves this does make the format a little small so I have marked the PATS module in red.

I hope this helps.

Steve

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Steve, Good Morning, Thanks for the info. From your diagram it shows the Pats Module as a stand alone module. Can you identify where this module is located. Also any idea's why the cooling fan comes on when I put the key to Run, all the dash lights come on and the Fan starts. This PATS is a engineers nightmare I would think. Have a good day mate. Thanks again Mick

Yes definitely an engineers nightmare :)

I did send the picture earlier in this thread

http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/R-Steve2019/cfe445f9-f11f-4efe-931e-e0c43a3ee455_Screenshot_2019-11-10_at_08.38.51.png

I thought you had found it as you mentioned " I found the PATs difficult to get at front clip easy, shroud at rear held by plastic shroud and hard to get at screw."

The picture is poor quality but the PATs module should be up under the instrument panel lower trim.

The problem with the cooling fan comes on may be due a problem in either the circuit to the engine temperature sensor or the ECU. If the sensor wire is not connected this will cause the fan to come on, as will a defect in the ECU.

Steve