Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a message 'key not detected'. It is not a keyless

I have a message 'key not detected'. It is not a keyless car. The car won't start but all other electrics are fine. It is intermittent, however, so when it starts then it is absolutely fine and the battery seems ok. This problem happens with both keys so it doesn't appear to be a key problem
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: As I said it is happening with both keys so we don not think it is a key fob battery issue. when the message clears, both keys work perfectly well and they unlock and relock the car perfectly
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: Fiesta 2014 1.3
JA: Are you fixing your Fiesta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Before Christmas this happened and the breakdown mechanic disconnected and reconnected the battery then it started straightaway. I then did 400 miles long and short journeys and no problem. Now it has come back.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The problem is that now it won't start so I can't get it to a garage. A mobile mechanic said I need to take it to Ford. I spoke to Ford and we agreed that if I took it there ie, if it's working then the message will not be showing and they may not find the fault!

Hi there good morning to to you and sorry for the delayed response

My name is***** would be happy to assist you Today

Ok when you say it’s not a keyless vehicle does it have a standard ignition switch or the teardrop remote fobs

kindest regards ***** *****

brian

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry what are teardrop fobs? I have 2 keys that I physically put into the ignition and turn to start it. They are working to open and lock car and are also working when this error message is not present.

Hi thanks

ok what is your registration number

what message is showing on the display just now

is there any immobiliser messages or flashing immobiliser red lights

kindest regards ***** *****

brian

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
HG14 LHLF It comes up 'key not detected'. If you press ok it goes away but the little 'i' symbol stays lit. No flashing immobiliser lights If I turn the key nothing happens. Just dead. However, when it decides it's ok then all is well, engine turns over, battery seems fine etc

Hi there thanks

ok the most common issue regarding your concern

is a software lockup of the pcm (Powertrain Control Module)software

Having looked into your setup I would advise the pcm and instrument cluster are updated to the latest level software using fords ids software (there are updates avaiable for your vehicle)

After the updates have been done then both keys should be reprogrammed to the vehicle

In order to reset the system just now I would dissconnect the battery for around 20 minutes and then reconnect

And reappraise this should rest the system so you can get going and booked into your nearest dealer

If you need any further help or technical assistance going forward

please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you

If you are satisfied with my answer /advice thus far

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY

as is how iam Accredited for my advice and to build my online profile

Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day

Positive feedback Is kindly appreciated

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 7 months ago.