Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

Can a ford 17 seat minibus 4,600kg grow be down plated to

can a ford 17 seat minibus 4,600kg grow be down plated to 3,500kgs/
JA: What is the model of your '17 Ford?
Customer: not sure think transit. to allow post 1997 licence holders with no D1 to drive
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. is it a case of a paper exercise?
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: probably twin axle.

Thank you for your question, my name is Steve and I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade. Hopefully I can help.

It should be possible but you would need a new chassis plate made up with the new gross weight and the vehicle would need to be retested at the new weight.

This company can make up the chassis plate for you.

Or for an easier route this company can carry out the whole process for you.

As this is to allow a newer drive to drive the vehicle you will need to ensure the process is fully covered for the insurance to be compatible and for this reason using SvTech as in the link, to carry the process out for you would be a safer option.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread,

if this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue, even

after clicking accept I can answer further questions on the matter by replying to this thread.

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you Steve. Does that mean physically altering the weight of the bus or is it just a paper excercise?

It should be a paper exercise, other than the plate change no mechanical alterations should be needed. It will affect the legal maximum weight but that is all,

Steve

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks again. We are looking at drivers without a D1 licence being able to drive a 17 seater. We currently operate a 15 seater at 3,500kg

As long as the 17 seats includes the drivers seat then there should be no problem.

D1 is maximum 16 passengers.

Steve

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Many thanks Steve

your welcome

Steve