sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

Ford smile 1996 think pats system gone how can I tell the

Customer Question

Ford smile 1996 think pats system gone nuts how can I tell the only symptom is it won't start I get three dash lights orange window looking thing goes out two red ones stay on but nothing happens but if I put a probe into the ignition relay it turns over but feels like the fuel pump not engaging
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Fuses all ok
JA: Are you fixing your Th!nk yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: ?????
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: What's a th!nk
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Ford
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 17 days ago.

Hi, my name is Jose Sebastian, your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. I apologize for the delay to take your query

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, from my perspective it seems that what you have activated is the anti-theft immobilizer system, that is why they present the indicator lights on the dashboard and when the ignition relay is jumpered, the engine turns but the immobilizer system inhibits the ignition by canceling the signal of the fuel.

let me explain how your immobilizer system work

The electronic immobilizer protects your vehicle by means of an electronic code integrated in the key. This is composed of an invariable personal code and a second code that the immobilizer modifies each time the engine is started.

When starting the vehicle, the immobilizer checks the personal code and the variable. If both codes are correct, the immobilizer sends a new coded signal to the engine control to unlock the engine. Without this signal, the engine can not be started, even by a short circuit.

Then you should use a key programmer or diagnostic tool to deactivate and reprogram the immobilizer system so the car will go back to work. In anyway, you first can try a manual reset to see if this work. In case it does not work, the diagnostic will be needed.

Manual reset:

1) Turn the key to ON position without ignite the engine.

2) Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.

3) Wait around 3 to 5 minutes to let all the modules delete its data.

4) Turn off the key and take it off.

5) Reconnect the negative terminal.

6) Turn again the key to ON position and wait around 30 seconds to let the modules restart.

7) Turn ON the car

Have you understood me dear customer?

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you!

Regards, Sebastian.