Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

My car keeps losing power when I hit 70mph, 62 plate Ford

Hi, my car keeps losing power when I hit 70mph
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 62 plate Ford Focus 1.0 turbo ecoboost
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No nothing
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that’s all I know thanks
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
When I restart the car after it loses power it is fine again, have no engine warning lights or anything lit

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade hopefully I can help.

When the car looses power does this suddenly happen or is it a more gradual feel.

Also is the power loss consistent until started up again, and once started back to normal.

Steve

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
the car will drive fine, then when I’m accelerating around 70mph I can feel the sudden drop in power and it’ll be foot down to maintain the same speed. Then when I slow down for example at a round about the power is a fair bit less and stays like that until I stop and re- start the car.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
But this is not every time I go to that speed. On some days I can drive and it’s totally fine but it’s becoming more frequent now.

Thank you for that, from the description you have given this sounds like an overboost sensor, this occurs when the pressure in the system builds up too high and the sensor detects this and cut the power, the engine management light would normally also come on but a code will still be left in the ECU.

The codes should be read by plugging in a scanner to the EOBD socket and this should confirm the problem.

The reason the overboost occurs is normally because the turbo bypass system is not operating correctly, this can be anything from simply being sticky, to a failed component, this allows the pressure to build too high.

Once the code is retrieved this should give more information on the matter.

I hope this answers the question but do please ask any further details by replying to this thread.

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you for your help Steve, with regards ***** ***** test and repair, is this likely to be an expensive job?

The test should cost less than half an hours labour, most independant garages will connect up the scanner and read the codes for around £20.

It will depend on the actual source of the problem. The code I would expect to see is P02CA Turbocharger (TC)/supercharger (SC) B - overboost condition.

This can be due to either the wastegate actuator or the solenoid, either of these would be in the region of £150 to fix.

Steve

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
That’s perfect, thank you very much for your time Steve. I will take it into the garage and hope this is the problem. Thanks again

I hope all goes well but do get back in touch by replying to this thread if needed.

All the best

Steve

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Just one more quick question Steve sorry, I am away from home at work and it is a*****to get to my hometown. Will continued use of the car lead to more damage? Or does the computer stop this from occurring?

No damaged should occur as the computer does limit the power when the overboost occurs, it may be an idea to stay below the 65 mph mark to help save the condition occuring though.

Steve

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Lovely thanks for your help Steve

No Problem

Steve

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi Steve, just took it out to ford but on the journey I’ve noticed that it only happens when my foot is down fully, if I ease up on the pedal it goes over 80 with no problems does this still sound like that same problem? I’m taking it in tomorrow but was given blank faces last time I took it with this problem so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Yes it could still be the same problem, although under those conditions it may also be a vacuum control on on the throttle, but as it has gone into the reduced power mode a code should have been left in the ECU.

Steve

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks Steve

Your welcome.

Steve

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Steve. Hope your ok.
I took my car into a garage, where nothing was found to be wrong, so I then took it up to ford to see if they could find the problem. Same answer, they ran a diagnostic nothing was on the computer, road tested it and it didn’t play up (typical) is there anything else what this could be? Or is it just a mystery? Starting to think I’m going crazy here

Hi, yes good thank you.

I am presuming they tested the system reading off the live data as well as just looking for codes. Intermittent problems can be hard to find, but when the fault occurs with you on all journeys this should be detectable.

Have you asked if they could accompany you on a drive so that you can demonstrate the problem. I have often found that a different driving style can bring up the problem. This is not because there is a right or a wrong way to drive but simply because the engine can act differently according to the driving style.

This would at least prove you are not crazy :)

Steve

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
that could be worth a go. Only thing I’m thinking is they didn’t go up to 70mph where the problem happens, but they have said as soon as a light pops up to take it back for a free test. Thank you for your help.

Your welcome, Yes that the problem if your not present on the road test they may not meet the conditions needed to create the problem.

Steve