Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have an intermittant starting problem with my 2017 3.2

I have an intermittant starting problem with my 2017 3.2 wildtrak ranger. I can drive it no problemfor weeks and then i will go to it and turnthe key and the starter spins the engine but it wont catch. I thought it was only happening with one key but now has started doing it with the other. about a week ago i koncked out on me while driving. lucky i was on a down hill and could pull off the main road into a side road.
JA: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?
Customer: the starter is spinning the engine.
JA: What year is your Ranger?
Customer: 2017
JA: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: havent attempted anything. Iwas going to plug in my obd but cant find the charging cable
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi there , good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you Today

do you have your registration number there so I can check some details and what is the mileage of the vehicle

does the engine turn over but won’t fire

does this happen when hot or cold or both

did the engine cut out on you whilst driving but started immediately the time it broke down

kindest regards ***** *****

brian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SJ17uon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to get out lock it wait 5 minutes and then it started straight off and has run for 2 weeks until last night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
25000 miles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I find it seems to be I’ve driven it somewhere. Parked up, not locked it and go back to it it won’t start. Apart from when in conked out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’d driven 10 miles before it conked.

there thanks

ok the most common issues we see on the 3.2 variant is an injector fault

most commonly one of the injectors leaking off excessively when warm this causes a drop in fuel pressure and results in a crank no fire situation untill it cools down

other issues I have seen is one injector shorting out which in turns shuts all injectors down

one more important check is the battery fuse box as these are prone for moisture ingress and check the main red feed connection at the rear of the battery fuse box(held by a 13 mm nut )

looking at your details the vehicles warranty ran out in March

the OBD port is located behind the trim to the lower right of the steering wheel

pull this trim off to locate the OBD

If you need any further help or technical assistance going forward

please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you

If you are satisfied with my answer /advice thus far

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER POSITIVE

as this is how iam Accredited for my advice and time and also to build my online profile

Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day and stay safe

Any POSITIVE FEEDBACK/are kindly appreciated

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Hi there good evening to you

how did you get on with our issue

kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No codes on the obd. No sign of it happening booked into the main dealer tomorrow.

Hi there thanks for replying

hopefully they can get the intermittent starting issue to happen with datalogger connected as this gives a better idea of the live readings ie fuel pressure etc

also the ford ids can pick up stored codes that smaller scanners can’t

do hopefully there will be something logged to give an indication of the system that’s causing this

as this is how iam Accredited for my time and advice and also to build my online profile

Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening and stay safe

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cam and crank shaft position sensor according to their ids