MichaelUK
MichaelUK, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technician
109796520

I was driving my focus, I changed gear and the clutch pedal

Customer Question

I was driving my focus, I changed gear and the clutch pedal wont come back up
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: it comes back up if I put my foot underneath, I looked on the floor and there were small pieces of plastic no it hasn’t been slipping and I can still change gear
JA: What year is your Focus?
Customer: 2012
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i haven’t tried anything because it has only just happened within the last hour, I want to know what it is
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  MichaelUK replied 18 days ago.

Dear customer, thank you for choosing Justanswer. My name is***** would like to help you.

Look with a torch under your dashboard, where the clutch pedal is.

There is a small hydraulic cylinder on the clutch pedal, most likely the plastic parts broke off. Then the pedal will not come back. If so, the small cylinder has to be replaced by a garage, the clutch has to be bled after the replacement by the garage and should work again.

If the pedal does not go up again, the cylinder in the gear box is the problem, it will jam and not let the pedal go up again. Because of the plastic parts you found, a defect of the cylinder at the clutch pedal is more likely.

Replacing the clutch pedal cylinder should not cost more than 250-350 pounds in a garage.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
there’s no possibility that it could be the clutch return spring?
Expert:  MichaelUK replied 17 days ago.

This possibility also exists, but then the spring usually breaks, so the parts that fell down should be made of metal. That a suspension of the spring breaks is unusual.