MichaelUK
MichaelUK, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technician
109796520

Unable to start my car, It's keyless ignition, I though

Unable to start my car, It's keyless ignition
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: I though perhaps that may be at fault so have changed it with no avail.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Ford Focus Titanium 59 plate
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't know what to try as never had keyless before, changed battery in fob
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: tried exiting and locking then unlocking again

Dear customer, thank you for choosing Justanswer. My name is***** would like to help you.

Does the remote control open and close?

If so, the key is no longer synchronised with the vehicle.

In this case please look in the area of the steering column where the ignition lock used to be. Depending on the model, you will see a cover (round). This can be pulled off, then a shaft appears. Insert the key into this shaft and press the start button. The car now reads the key manually and the car should start.

If the cover is not there, hold the key in place while pressing the start button.

If this does not help, the cause is somewhere else, then unfortunately a garage has to take over the troubleshooting, because there is nothing else you can do.

If the key cannot be unlocked with the FOB, then try to start as described above. If this works, the key has to be checked by Ford, maybe it has an electrical defect.