Gavin Perry
Gavin Perry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
105804848

I am planning to buy a 1990 ford transit campervan and it

Customer Question

Good morning, I am planning to buy a 1990 ford transit campervan and it doesn't come with power steering. what would be the best easy and cheaper way to fit a power steering even if electric? please if you have any links or garages in Herforshire Im looking forward to hear about them . thank you
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
its a diesel 2.5 non turbo banana engine
Expert:  Gavin Perry replied 16 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am here to assist you Today it would have to be the hydraulic system used of a later van that way you could keep it within a reasonable budget.

Expert:  Gavin Perry replied 15 days ago.

I would like more information it was from 1993 that power steering was fitted to the transit van model so you would have to find from a 1993 onwards steering rack / pump and bracket / pipes / bottle they should still be easy to find these parts even now if you need me just get back to me regards Gavin.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi thank you for your help :) It is registered in 1989 and it never had a power steering fitted. What are the options for hydraulic or electric? Is there like a device that mounts on the steering rack? Thanks

Morning can you see the difference in the front of the vans the later model been the white van they had power steering as standard and that will fit on your earlier model van.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
This is the one I want to buy so what exact model of van I should look for? I can go to scrap yards or where is the best place?

2f38251a-7402-465d-ae30-f6f647e8db86_ford-transit-mk5-1994-2003-l.jpg this one they classed as the smiley front model.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I see so I can just buy a power steering kit from a smiley and they should fit?

Yes that is correct.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
For the same van , in the logbook it says it is a 2l petrol when the campervan had the engine changed to a 2.5 non turbo banana diesel. What does the previous I need to do in order to change the the logbook information? He said he filled thelogbook with new information and went to a garage and got a letter that informs about emissions but I'm wondering if that will be enough for DVLA to change the logbook and how long it usually takes??
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
also I want to ask if they come with 1 din radio wires or double din . It has a radio but not sure if I can fit an modern android touch screen device unit

Give DVLA the MOT history google MOT history check on the Goverment website it will give you the information.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Just checked and on MOT and Tax status it says is diesel but if I search for full info is still shows as 2 l petrol :( ..I'm confused now

What does it say on the MOT history check.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
That is diesel
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
last MOT was done in September last year, if we do another mot now would that help update the status on the info page ?

Use that as evidence in a letter to the DVLA.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
how can I use that? The letter was sent already last week ...

Wait till they reply to you.