Phillip H
Phillip H, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

Ford kuga on a 16 plate. 50,000 miles. the engine would seam

ford kuga on a 16 plate. 50,000 miles. the engine would seam to have a starting problem linked to the startstop starter motor system. i can happily do a long journey , a short journey and start stop most of the day , then suddenly as i try to start by pushing the button i just get a clicking noise that lasts about 10 second and the start fails. the car will restart if i leave it for about an hour. mean while i have had the starter motor replace at great cost assuming that was the problem as advised by my garage. unfortunantly i have since broken down twice from the same 10 second click, any ideas
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: 3 mechanics said it was the start stop starter motor. its been going on for the last 3 weeks.
JA: What year is your Journey?
Customer: ford kuga nd16fhb 2lt diesel
JA: Are you fixing your Journey yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: dont understand your question
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: the start stop starter motor has be replaced but the original fault is still happening

Hiya

It sounds from your description that one of the Starter Relays is breaking down when hot.  As it cools down it then starts working again hence why it will once again start.

You have stated that you have had the Starter Motor replaced.  Was the Starter Motor Count reset at the same time?  This is a vital part of replacing the Starter Motor on these syatems.

Phillip

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
hi there , the fault happens after a short journey and after a long journey. this might rule out the relay over heating. what is the starter motor count?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
i won't be doing the work myself. i am using tyre spot mechanics to sort out. after spending 350 on the replacement i feel that the problem was not the start stop starter motor but something else linked to it
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
are you still there , or do i need to call

Hiya

I suspect it is the Start / Stop relay.  This is constantly working whenever the vehicle is obviously starting and stopping.  Considerable heat can build up here and the way you describe it starting fine when it cools down indicates that it is something in this realm.  The only other part I would check is the relay that powers the Engine Control Module as this too can exhibit the same issue.

Starter Motor Count is the Count that the ECM registers every time the Starter Motor is used. When it get s to X amount on the Count then it will fail to start until the Starter Motor is replaced and the Count reset.

Unfortunately it appears you have used the wrong workshop for this work.  A Ford Dealer will have the required diagnostic software, Ford Trained Technicians who know the product and Ford Technical Information at their fingertips.

Phillip

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
hello , is there any body out there?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
the ford dealer were going to charge 650 for the same job. if they were more competitive i would use them every time. when money is tight its a big factor. i am going to try for a full refund and go to ford. any more info would be appreciated.

Hiya

It is more expensive going to a dealer in terms of Labour charges however you are paying for people who continually go on training courses to keep them up to date with the latest information about your vehicle.  They also fit parts that are made for your vehicle.

You might say £650 is expensive but lets think about this. You've already paid £350 to these people and the vehicle isn't fixed.  The next stage will be them throwing something else at the vehicle in the vague hope that eventually it cures it!  They play a system that I call Parts Darts!  Keep fitting things until it is fixed!  Might end up costing you £1500 due to their lack of knowledge!

Phillip