Phillip H
Phillip H, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

Ford transit custom battery light on. Replaced battery,

Customer Question

Ford transit custom battery light on.
JA: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?
Customer: Replaced battery, alternator, sensor on battery, still on. Then sent to an electrician who found the wire from the alternator to the ecu was damaged. Seemed to cure it for a week but light came back on. Rang the electrician who said to put the original alternate back on. Would this be a possibility?
JA: What year is your Transit?
Customer: 2014
JA: Are you fixing your Transit yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not doing the work myself, been using mechanics
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No I don't think so
Category: Ford
Expert:  Phillip H replied 10 days ago.

Hiya

The battery light comes on when the Engine Control Module doesn't see the required field current from the Alternator.  It could be the Alternator that is at fault, the wiring between the Alternator and the Engine Control Module or the Engine Control Module itself.

I suspect if the wiring repair you had carried out cured it then I suspect it is probably a  poor quality repair.

The best place for diagnosis and repair would be your local Ford Dealer who have the Ford Trained Technicians, and Ford Technical Information at their fingertips.

Phillip

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
When I rang the auto electrician after it came back on he said he'd known it to happen if the wrong alternator had been put on and said to have the original put back on. Do you think that might be a possibility?
Expert:  Phillip H replied 10 days ago.

Hiya

If you've gone and fitted an aftermarket part then  anything is possible!

Ford Parts for Ford Cars you can't go wrong!

Phillip