CarDoc
CarDoc, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

I have a 2010 focus 1.8 dtci I changed the dualmass flywheel

Customer Question

I have a 2010 focus 1.8 dtci I changed the dualmass flywheel to a solid flywheel and the starter motor doesn't engage with solid flywheel to turn the engine
JA: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?
Customer: Just a click and the starter turning but not engaging
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes fix it myself and I've just had the starter reconditioned but still sounds the same
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I replaced the whole engine and there was a solid flywheel on the engine with a new clutch kit so I left it that way as I thought it would be better with the solid flywheel but the starter doesn't seem to be engaging with it as if it's to small
Category: Ford
Expert:  CarDoc replied 16 days ago.

Hi, How are you?
I'm Shabaz, one of the automotive experts. I will be happy to assist you today. Hopefully we can get this resolved quickly.

You will be prompted for a phone call by the automated system, only accept this if we can't resolve the issue through messaging, otherwise we can continue our conversation on the message thread.

When the starter turns, the spindle of the starter is supposed extend out and engage with the teeth of the flywheel. I would advise removing the starter and testing it to see if the spindle extends when it receives power.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I've done that and it works perfectly
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Can we try fix by message
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No can message
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Can I get an answer please ?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Your not much help
Expert:  CarDoc replied 16 days ago.

This should have been checked when fitting the solid flywheel, adjustments are easy to make with the gearbox out of the way. I would advise removing the gearbox and checking the starter engagement with the gearbox removed, it's likely the flywheel may not be the correct one for the engine.

Expert:  CarDoc replied 16 days ago.

I hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions, feel free to message me by replying on this message thread.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you're satisfied with my assistance, your feedback is appreciated.

Thank you for visiting Just Answer.