sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

There's a clicking noise coming from the rear of my transit

Customer Question

There's a clicking noise coming from the rear of my transit custom when driving
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Rear wheels but when you jack it up and spin the wheels there's no noise
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2013 ford transit custom 2.2
JA: Are you fixing your Transit yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I have tried new pads greasing the backs of the pads making sure capilers are free
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: Ford
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 20 days ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Dear customer, when you lift the rear wheels and there is no sound, it is very characteristic of the 4wd models that wear occurs in the internal gears of the rear differential, also at the level of the differential bearings, noise occurs with the vehicle on the pavement because it is when the stress is put into the rear differential, while it is simply turning with the same inertia of the cardan and there is no resistance from the differential.

This is very characteristic and in fact it is a test that is done to rule out problems at the differential level.

If otherwise it will sound regardless of the raised wheels or I could not tell you that it may be a problem of bearings at the wheels or at the brake level but it is not your case.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Mine is front wheel drive

Dear customer, then surely you are turning the wheel by hand and you will not be able to find the sound in this way since it surely occurs at a certain speed, anyway, check the state of the rear wheel bearings, basically I am in a  single component known as the wheel hub, check it as it may be the cause of this problem.  And verify that the problem is not with the suspension, because it may be that when the weight rests on the rear wheel, the suspension is rubbing metal against metal, causing noise to also be produced in this way.

I hope this info to be helpful, my goal is to give you the best advice i can,  I hope to be helpful, if you have any doubt or want to know anything else please do not hesitate to reply back.

Kind regards, Sebastian.