Steve
Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Garage owner for thirty years
106618989

I have a 2009 mondeo tdci which for its age still runs

Hi, I have a 2009 mondeo tdci which for its age still runs excellently. Until now where on the rare occasion I get a light saying engine malfunction and the EPS light comes on and the engine goes into limp mode and will not rev over 2500rpm. Once the engine is switched off and back on again, all returns to normal.
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: There is no trouble code and unfortunately I do not own a scan tool.
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Ford Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you fixing your Mondeo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm not mechanically minded I'm afraid, leave all that to Halfords Autocentre!
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No thats fine thank you .

Welcome to JA. My name is***** am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade. I will be happy to assist you today. Hopefully we can get this resolved quickly.
You will receive an offer of a phone call by the system, this only needs to be accepted if you wish to speak to me, I can otherwise continue to answer your questions via the thread.
From the symptoms you describe it would appear that there is a powertrain control problem and this may be connected to the EPS (electric power steering). It could be due to a poor battery as the control systems are dependent on the correct voltage.

Unfortunately the only way to fully diagnose the problem would be to have the codes read from the vehicle ECU using a code reader with Ford software. This would not need to be a Ford dealer and many independent garages should be able to carry this out for a small fee.

Once the retained code is known then the extent of the problem will be known and a remedy can be sought.

I hope this answers your question but I want you to be 100% happy with the answer so do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.
Thank you for using Just Answer
Steve

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
OK many thanks. My car is due for MOT soon so will get the autocentre to read any ECU codes. One other slight and intermittent fault is sometimes I find I hard to put the car into reverse gear, usually from a cold start. Sometimes putting it into second then reverse helps, or if the car is on a incline then let it roll slightly then it goes into reverse. Any ideas on this one?

Yes the autocentre should be able to read the codes ok.

The gear selection problem may be a slightly sticky clutch, if this is only from cold it may be the hydraulics would benefit from bleeding. To see if this is the case, next time it happens try pumping the clutch pedal twice before then retrying. If it is easier after pumping the clutch then this will point to a clutch hydraulic problem.

If it make no difference then it may just be a sticky gearbox and a change of gearbox oil may help.

Do please though feel free to ask any further details.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Many thanks for your replies, a big help.

Your welcome, do get back via this thread if needed.

Steve

It was a pleasure to assist you today. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.
Steve