sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

My middle brake light don't work properly. other brake

Customer Question

hello. my middle brake light don't work properly.
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: other brake lights work just the middle one don't. when i start car it works for two seconds and then its not working.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: s-max 2.0 tdci 2008
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: first i did found some broken wires witch ones was for fog lights. but previous owner just straight put them toghether. and some wires was broken in moving part where opens boot
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: the wire with fog lights now i fixed but left with this intresting issue.
Category: Ford
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Dear customer, if the light is turning on, it is not a problem of fuses or power supply, anyway, it is not necessary to do a check of fuses and relays but the fault you are experiencing is with electric wiring, it is sending the first signal but it does not keep it normally It can be corrosion in the connections because the cables are pitted in certain sections which causes them to be exposed. My recommendation is that you check the state of the electrical wiring and connections.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
all conetions in rear side i've been checked and cleaned meybe at fuse box in wire conectors could be a problem

It's possible dear customer, check the wiring with special attention because from my point of view, it is a wiring failure.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
thank you for answer.
another question is. what would happen if i amputee the positive wire from middle brake light and took positive wire fom left brake light to the middle brake light?
like i said before side brake lights woks perfectly. is it will be ower power on the wire of the side brake light?
for now i know that my positive wire doesn't work like it should be.
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 13 days ago.

Dear customer, as your car is 2008, you could try, it seems to me that it should work normally, otherwise the lights will simply work more and you would have to remove an independent cable for the central light.
I am glad that you have found the defect in the wiring.
Kind regards, Sebastian.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
sorry but i didn't found the damage. but today i noticed when car ignition is on then the light work for two seconds. but when engine is on if not pressed brake pedal before turned on the light is working. but blinks some times. meybe something with battery?

It could be a problem charging the battery, but the problem is that it is happening in just one bulb, therefore I still leaning to problems in the wiring.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
all wires go by left side.?
and where is lokated the wire spliter?
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 12 days ago.

Dear customer, unfortunately I don't have the diagram bfor this model to tell you where the divider is. Sorry.
If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me k now.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
hello. i think the fault comes from fuse box. I've been working through the wires but wires and connections are fine. the problem comes out from fuse box
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
its seperate wire for upper stop light.
could it be i got in car wrong bulb cluster? or i should hawe a led laps instead bulb.
my car registration number
KA57 YMG
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 11 days ago.

Dear customer, maybe the bulb is not correct but I do not know what you have installed but the wiring check includes the fuse box, so it is also likely to be a problem in the connection this happens a lot.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
i just week ago got this car.
im curious meybe previous owner changed all rear boot lid. or the bulbs.
i did clean all conetions at the fuse box but no changes

Dear customer, from my position, I could not tell you if the previous owner did any work on the tailgate. Sorry