CarDoc
CarDoc, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

Aircon gas is empty on Mk3 Focus, have been told the

Aircon gas is empty on Mk3 Focus, have been told the compressor needs replacing, can see some oil build up at the bottom of it would this sound a fair assumption
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: gas hog?, starts well and runs well
JA: What year is your Focus?
Customer: 2015
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no I won't, had an Aircon specialist test for gas in the system, none in it, he then showed me thru the grill that there was oil on the fins.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no I don't think so

Hi, How are you?
I'm Shabaz, one of the automotive experts. I will be happy to assist you today. Hopefully we can get this resolved quickly.

You will be prompted for a phone call by the automated system, only accept this if we can't resolve the issue through messaging, otherwise we can continue our conversation on the message thread.

If there is visible oil then it's most likely leaked from the shaft seal which means that it will need rebuilding or replacing, I think a replacement is better because rebuilding can be expensive.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
ok thanks

My pleasure. I'm glad I was able to help.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you're satisfied with my assistance, your feedback is appreciated.
If you have any further questions, feel free to message me by replying on this thread.

Thank you for visiting Just Answer.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
the shaft seal doesn''t sound as if it is anything to do with the Air con??
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I was going to ask more questions about the aircon issue??

The shaft seal keeps the centre shaft lubricated, if the air con is not used for some time, this seal can wear and cause oil and the refrigerant to leak out of the system.

What are the other questions you have about the air con?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
thanks, ***** ***** replacement AC condenser solve this issue or do you think it is seperate
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
worried about being ripped off as the labour is quite high on a MK3 as all the front will need to come off I believe

The condenser is a radiator and that only needs to be replaced if it's leaking. The A/C compressor is on the underside of the engine in the mk3, you access that from the driver side wheel arch or from underneath so, you remove the wheel and arch liner.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
it is the condenser that has a build up of oil on the bottom couple of rows of fins, this is what I have been told needs replacing. No mention of the compressor being an issue, sorry if i'm sounding a bit thick not mechanically minded

Ok I understand, you got the names mixed up. Compressor is the belt driven unit which pushes the refrigerant around the system (oil in the a/c system is normal). The condenser can be removed without removing the bumper, a little awkward but it can be done.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
my bad just realised I said compressor hence you reply of shaft, so sorry. Do you think it is a fair assumption to make then that the Condenser would be the issue. Quoted £385 to replace parts and labour, don't want to pay that to then be told I have other leaks

Leak tests can be done using a dye which is pumped into the system. As an A/C specialist, I would assume he would have the tools to check the system for leaks. You can see this VIDEO where the A/C condenser is being removed.

It's absolutely fine, we don't expect customers to have technical knowledge about vehicles.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks for your help

Thank you for visiting Just Answer.