Malcolm Gillespie
Malcolm Gillespie, Ford Technician
Experience:  City & guilds pt 1 & 2
22484842

My transit when starting will start fine then after a few

Customer Question

My transit when starting will start fine then after a few seconds starts to shudder and cuts out some smoke also occurs at this time. I can start it again straight away and it will shudder but after abt a minute it seams to sort it’s self out. Any ideas as to why this is happening thanks.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you been losing oil or coolant?
Customer: 167000 no loss of any fluids what so ever. After the van is started the second time round after a minute or 2 u wouldn’t know there was a problem it runs fine.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2015 2.2 transit
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Was going to have a look at it myself but there are no faults flashing on the dash so it’s just where to start.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The only other thing that comes up on the dash is auto start not working please start manually. I don’t know if this is connected to the problem or not.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Malcolm Gillespie replied 17 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer. I suggest having the head gasket tested , it might be trying to fire on water that has seeped from head gasket over night, once burnt off it runs fine..

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks Malcom the problem can occur if I leave the van for a couple of hours come back to it and the same again and I’m not noticing any drop in the coolant level but will give it a try and see if that helps thanks again.
Expert:  Malcolm Gillespie replied 16 days ago.

Please keep me informed.