Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Ford Transit 2.2CDTi 2009 Fwd. Doesn’t start when

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Ford Transit 2.2CDTi 2009 Fwd. Doesn’t start when it’s warm. Starts fine when it’s cooled down. Turns over ok and seems to want to go, but just doesn’t fire up. So far it’s had a new battery, starter motor, module on the key switch, injector seals, leak off seals, fuel filter. Cleaned and checked EGR valve. Your help would be much appreciated
JA: Are you fixing your Transit yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I am. See list of jobs above
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: it’s done 150k miles
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
No engine management lights on. Plugged in scanner, no faults found
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 22 days ago.

Expert:  Matt replied 22 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer
My name is ***** ***** I've been an automotive engineer since 1996 and together we're going to solve this issue.

I understand that having your trusted vehicle let you down can be frustrating as it rarely occurs at a convenient time

Can you please tell me with whom I am speaking?

Expert:  Matt replied 22 days ago.

Also if its not injecting at all then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensor

if you have a scan / OBD tool you can use this to read the 'datastream' from the ECU and check you are getting an rpm signal

If the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything

Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issue

you can also do a reasonable run-back test yourself by disconnecting the electrical plug on the injectors and the downstream pipe of the leak off, crank the engine over and if you see a noticeable difference if the flow in the leak off then that the likely problem injector.

also its possible the coolant temp sensor is faulty

again if you have a scan tool you can use this to check its reading something sensible like 85 degC with a warm engine

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hi, I’m Cliff Whittingham, an electrician with a reasonable knowledge of motor mechanics as my dad was a mechanic. Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. I fitted a new crankshaft sensor and still the same problem. It takes roughly half an hour to cool down before the van starts again. Took the EGR valve off, it was closed, engine was cold though. Took it apart and connected 12 volts to the motor and that all seemed to work fine. I have a scan tool and no faults have been found. I’ll try it with the engine running to get some live data. I will be changing the turbo soon as mine is leaking oil. Is it possible any sensors on the turbo could be contaminated ? I will change the camshaft position sensor and coolant temp sensor, there is a fuel temp sensor in the fuel pump, is that a possibility ?
Expert:  Matt replied 21 days ago.

Hello Cliff

the fuel temp sensor shouldn't make that much difference so I'd leave that alone for now

let me know how you get on after the new sensors

Expert:  Matt replied 20 days ago.

Hello Cliff

do you need anything else ? how did you get on?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I’ve ordered parts on internet and am waiting delivery. I’m working all the time so it’s hard to get a window of opportunity. The van is fine if you park up at a job for the day, it starts first time when cold. When flitting about I have to wait 30 mins before it’ll start again. I’ll be in touch when I’ve fitted new sensors. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Matt replied 20 days ago.

Understood

good luck