IanjC211
IanjC211, IMI Certified Technician
Experience:  Expert
111627093

I've got ford transit,year 2004 and I've been having

Hi I've got ford transit,year 2004 and I've been having problems with wires,probably.. firstly my speedometer start going on and off all the time and now when I have right indicator on it swaps flashes with break light and reverse lights(lightly) like Christmas lights .. also left brake light stopped working.. I wonder how much could it cost and what the issue is. Thank you
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: I checked them when the speedometer problem stated and all were fine.. it helped to pull the bunch of wires under steering wheel but eventually even that stopped working
JA: Are you fixing your Transit yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't done anything yet, I don't think I can
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Can't think of anything else atm

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** am I assisting please Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your vehicle but I am here to help. The system will automatically offer a phone call but I'm unable to take calls at this time. One moment while I review the information. Regards Ian

The speedo fault will probably be a faulty connection at the back of the instrument cluster so remove the plastic trim in front of the dials and unscrew the 4 screws holding the dials in and check the coonector plug at the back wiggle it see if it helps.

The back lights will be a faulty connection on the bulb holder or damaged or corroded pins on the connectors so check the pins first then change the bulbs as a faulty bulb if it is shorted can also cause this fault.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for your advice. I'm not really technical type, so I'm thinking of I'd have it checked at garage. Could you tell me what cost to expect for something like this? Thank you

Depending what they find when they look into it but if it is just a loose connection it should not be too expensive as it will just be labour and no cost of parts.