Malcolm Gillespie
Malcolm Gillespie, Ford Technician
Experience:  City & guilds pt 1 & 2
22484842

I have a 08 diesel Ford Fiesta Zetec which I've had issues

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 08 diesel Ford Fiesta Zetec which I've had issues with since I bought it last May. It tends to sporadically chug or shudder. 3 times now it has shuddered to the point of slowing to a halt 'Emergency Malfunction Service Now' coming up on the display. The first time this happened, it happened about 2 weeks after it had just been fully serviced. First time I drove it slowly and brought it to the garage. The second time was a case of switching the car off and on again. The third and most recent time, it wouldn't go past 2000 revs or 20mph, turns out the 3rd injector was gone. I've brought it to the garage maybe 6 times since last August, 3 separate mechanics - not one of them knows what's wrong with the car. There was a sensor in the engine that was also replaced, and all filters changed. I'm still none the wiser and the shuddering happens on a regular basis. Any idea what this might be?
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: The engine is 2008, so 14 years ago, it was last serviced in July 2021 at 232,102km, the clock now reads 239,343km
JA: Are you fixing your Fiesta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No not fixing myself. Have brought to a mechanic at least 6 times. Full service, injector replaced, sensor replaced and filters all changed
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Malcolm Gillespie replied 18 days ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer.  I suggest having the 16 pin obd codes read with a suitable scanner , the code or codes will point us in the right direction saving time money and guessing.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi Malcolm, thanks a million for the reply, and so quickly! would this be read on a diagnostics machine? If so, this has been done multiple times with three different mechanics at two separate garages and no codes are appearing to point in the right direction.

Ok just a thought , i suggest having ALL the injectors overhauled and reset.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hmm, I might try this. I can imagine this is quite costly, would you have any idea how much this would usually be priced at? Even just an indicator of price. Have spent quite a lot of money on the car already, given that I bought it under the knowledge that it had a clean service history, no major faults. Given the situation with lack of availability/high cost of second hand cars I don't really have the option of replacing.

I suggest for all 4 you are looking at about £200