Steve
Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Garage owner for thirty years
106618989

2014 Fiesta 1.6 Automatic just under 40k on the clock

Transmission needs servicing. Car not even used much lately, battery light also coming on. It’s driving fine
JA: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?
Customer: It’s in a garage now and they don’t know what to do if it’s the gearbox
JA: Are you fixing your Fiesta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I’m not fixing it myself, see above in a garage
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That’s all thanks

Welcome to JA. My name is***** am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade. I will be happy to assist you today. Hopefully we can get this resolved quickly. Please do feel free to send me your name so that I know who I have the pleasure of speaking with. You will receive an offer of a phone call by the system, this only needs to be accepted if you wish to speak to me, I can otherwise continue to answer your questions via the thread. At times you may experience a delay in receiving my message, let me assure you I will give you my full attention, but may need time to type out the reply.

Do you have the registration number please so that I may retrieve the full details.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
PY14 CHD

Thank you for that, please give me one second to retrieve the details.

Steve

Thank you I now have the details of your Fiesta, can I just confirm, you say that the battery light is coming on, and is this a warning on the dash for the gearbox?

Steve

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Transmission warning

Thank you, ***** ***** you know if they have checked the charging and the battery at all please.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Not sure

Ok.

The transmission warning should leave a code in the system which can be read by a garage with the correct diagnostic reader, it is very possible that if the battery or charging system is not operating correctly, and the running voltage is not correct, that the electrical system which controls the gearbox, may not be able to operate correctly.

For this reason it is important that the cause of the battery light be investigated and checked first. As you do cover a low mileage, it could be the case that the vehicle battery has failed internally and this can cause the problem you have.

If the vehicle battery has not been changed for 5-6 years, then this may be the problem. But it needs checking out, I would also recommend that if the garage do not know what to do, it would be advisable to find a garage who are confident in carrying out any work needed.

A garage who Know the system will be more efficient.

I hope this answers your question but I want you to be 100% happy with the answer so do please feel free to ask any further details if there is any point which you are uncertain of, by replying to this thread. I am happy to help. Thank you for using Just Answer Steve

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you so much

Your very welcome, do please feel free to come back to me if you need any points clarifying, or if you have any questions on the matter, just reply to this thread and I will get back to you.

Steve

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope I helped. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries. If at any time in the future you wish to ask another question you can contact me directly by typing @R-Steve2019 in the text box.

Thank you for using Just Answer

Steve

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
On your advice the car has had a new battery(4year warranty) still brining up transmission service

My advice was that if the battery has not been changed for 5-6 years, then this may be the problem. But it needs checking out.

I did also say that if the garage do not know what to do, it would be advisable to find a garage who are confident in carrying out any work needed.

The garage do need to check the systems fully and this does need the correct diagnostic equipment. When this is done a fault code should be returned which will indicate the problem.

Steve