How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thegonnec Your Own Question
Thegonnec, Judge
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 1419
Experience:  15 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
Type Your French Law Question Here...
Thegonnec is online now

Good Morning,I was divorced under French law, my ex filed

Customer Question

Ineed a French Decree Absolute.

Good Morning, I was divorced under French law, my ex filed for the divorce whilst living in France. I was and am still living in the UK. How do I get a dercree absolute? I have many documents but not the above. Or, How do I register the divorce in the UK? I will marry again next year and need to obtain an affirmation of freedom to marry, so need some proof that I am legally divorced. Hope you can help.

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: French Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.


I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Nicola,

I would have thought it would be quite easy to get an answer, my situation is very straight forward.

All I need is a decree absolute. Just need to know who to apply to and, if I need to use a French lawyer to do this.

Please keep searching.



Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 4 years ago.
You cannot obtain a decree absolute as your divorce was handled under French law which does not operate on the same basis as English law at all. In your case, you need to obtain a certified copy of the French divorce ruling and have it officially translated into English. You can obtain a copy of the divorce ruling from the French lawyer who represented you during the French divorce proceedings.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX you tell me the correct document name in French?

I have some documents, maybe I already have it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I sent you a further request on 30th Oct.

I need to know the French name for the documents that I need to ask for.