How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thegonnec Your Own Question
Thegonnec, Judge
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 1419
Experience:  15 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
Type Your French Law Question Here...
Thegonnec is online now

a friends husband died recently, he had been married before

Customer Question

a friends husband died recently, he had been married before but has never fathered a child during that or this current marriage. the french lawyer wants pfoof that he never had a child with his ex wife. he has said that they will have to employ a geneologist. why would a search of uk records not suffice
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: French Law
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 4 years ago.
This will not suffice as a child could have been born outside of the UK and not registered by UK authorities. The genealogist will track this gentleman's whereabouts during his life and check that he indeed fathered no child.
It should be the notaire, who is a ministerial officer and not a lawyer, who asks for this information.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what if the deceased never lived outside the uk before coming to France. He arrived in France after 60 yrs old.what proof of living and working only in the uk would be needed

Expert:  Thegonnec replied 4 years ago.
This will have to be discussed on a case specific basis with the notaire handling the estate. Usually they will study his professional record as well as track his different addresses. Did this gentleman marry your friend late in his life?