How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thegonnec Your Own Question
Thegonnec, Judge
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 1444
Experience:  15 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
Type Your French Law Question Here...
Thegonnec is online now

I have a house in france which is For Sale since Easter 2013

Customer Question

I have a house in france which is For Sale since Easter 2013 then valued at 235,000 euros

January 2014 the quarry behind my property has been granted an extension, after being fought over for 9 years . The impact is primarily on only two properties, one being mine.

I have just has a revaluation of 124,200 by one of my Estate Agents.

Is there any law in france with regards XXXXX XXXXX compulsory purchase i can call on to sort this major problem

Unfortunately i lost my husband to cancer 4 years ago and last year decided the time had come to sell our French home but this has actually ended up as a major problem.

Any advice for me where to look without this costing me anything as my pension is now so stretched , having to support France , i am selling my home in the UK to help pay my bills in France.
Help please???
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: French Law
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 4 years ago.
Your only option in this case is for you to sue the quarry operator for damages. You can do this with a fairly good chance of winning (unless there were already existing plans for the expansion of the quarry when you purchased the house).

Unfortunately, unless your pension is less than 900 €/month and you are a French resident, this will mean bearing the cost of legal action until the end of the proceedings. In any case, you will have to consult and instruct an avocat (barrister) to assist and represent in these matters.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Oh dear , i think i already knew what your answer was going to be.


The extension was NOT in print when we bought the house, but now i am a widow i have no funds to fight the french law courts.


This means my house, when it eventually sells with be worth nothing.


It was valued at probate 2011 for 280,000 and had been revalued by one Estate Agent to put OM at 135,000 INCLUDING 6% FEES


i will be lucky to come away with under £100,000

If there is no specific law i can refer to then i have no case


Maxine Salter