How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thegonnec Your Own Question
Thegonnec, Judge
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 1441
Experience:  15 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
Type Your French Law Question Here...
Thegonnec is online now

Hello, we have a house with a right of access that runs underneath

This answer was rated:

Hello, we have a house with a right of access that runs underneath the house. The access is across our land but was created in the 1800s. We have a neighbour who is parking his car underneath our house and blocking the droit de passage. We live in England but have been informed by another neighbour who uses the access to get to one of his gardens. How do we stop the neighbour with the car blocking the access of the neighbour who wants to get to his garden. The access is not paved and becomes a grassy track behind our house which is partly our land and partly the land of the people who have a house behind us.
You should put signage informing that this land is private property and that parking there is prohibited. If anyone then blocks access to the neighbor's gardens, the neighbor whose access is blocked or yourself as the landlord can call the police/gendarmerie to have the contravening driver fined for stationnement gênant and, if he remains there, towed away.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will rate it highly very good answer. I need slightly more information. Will the police tow a vehicle away if it is parked on private property. We own the land that the access goes over.

The police will tow away the vehicle (or rather have it towed away) if it is parked on private property if:

- said vehicle block access to a property (it seems it would be the case)


- said vehicle has remained parked on private property for over 7 days and, if you know the owner, you have notified him that you will have his car removed (better do it by recorded delivery mail, in French, as the police will request you prove you have warned the owner).

Now.... in some places, the police are sometimes slow to act as they have little means available for this type of action...
Thegonnec and other French Law Specialists are ready to help you