How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thegonnec Your Own Question
Thegonnec, Judge
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 1419
Experience:  15 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
Type Your French Law Question Here...
Thegonnec is online now

i have a french ski appartment that i have owned for 8 yearsi

Customer Question

i have a french ski appartment that i have owned for 8 years
i have realised that the little income that i have had from rentals will have some tax owing on it
british tax people say i should pay tax in france
can't fathom out the french system - little french spoken
understand that although the sums are small...there may be fines
looking to sell the appt now
agency in france have offered me net price that seems poor
any help?
nick pullan
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: French Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 3 years ago.
On top of local rates, as a non resident of France, you should pay according to art164 of CGI a 20% tax (plus 15.5% social contributions) on the yearly rental value of the apartment (whether you rent it or not...) You should file yearly tax returns with the local Service des impôts des particuliers. If you have not done so, you incur a 10% fine plus interest. This amount of tax (not social contributions) is deductible form your UK income tax.