How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thegonnec Your Own Question
Thegonnec, Judge
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 1419
Experience:  15 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
Type Your French Law Question Here...
Thegonnec is online now

A French village house was bought for its superb views, and

Customer Question

A French village house was bought for its superb views, and the buying and selling price for the property carries a premium for this. It is at the top of a small hill, immediately below is a terrace of land which carries a 'No build' restriction on it, and further below is another village house in its own land. On both the 'No build' terrace and in the garden of the lower house, trees are growing up and beginning to obstruct the view. In French law is there any redress for the increasing loss suffered by the top house with the view by this encroachment?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: French Law
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 3 years ago.
Here the provision in French law regarding height of trees:
You may request that a neighbor trim his trees if they are more than 2 metre high and planted less than 2 metres away from the boundary of your property (or less than 0,5 metre form your property if they are less than 2m high). You may also request than they cut all branches which may grow over your property.
Apart from this, there is nothing you can legally request in reference to the view or to unsightly shadows...
Of course if trees higher than 2m were already planted less than 2m from your property boundary when you purchased the property, you cannot request that they be cut or trimmed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for this information. If you could just supply the general details of the law, code it comes under, no., subsection, in case we need to cite it, then we will press the satisfied button. Are you on holiday?