How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thegonnec Your Own Question
Thegonnec, Judge
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 90
Experience:  15 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
Type Your French Law Question Here...
Thegonnec is online now

I live (no apartment in my name) and work in UK, I want to

Customer Question

Hi, I live (no apartment in my name) and work in UK, I want to help my girlfriend to move to Paris, as where she lives is bad for her health and to allow her to live a better life. Her family can't provide this, sadly, and once she moves, she is unable to go back. She is also unemployed, due to her condition.
She will be living in Paris, where I will visit her, the number of visits can vary, if this will help our situation.
I pay all my taxes in UK, and all my income is from UK, but, I would like to pay for an apartment for her, and send her some money each month for bills.
She is a French citizen, has a French ID etc.
She is unable to claim benefits, as she doesn't qualify, that is, she's under 25 (19), and she hasn't ever worked in the past, so is unable to get unemployment benefits.
I am willing to pay for her rent and bills, but, I don't know how this affects us, legally and tax wise.
I am unsure of the law in France, and know very little about UK tax laws, however, I understand that sending her money could be classed as a gift, so, I would have to pay some 40% tax, to UK.
What would she declare, as income, if anything and what about the "taxe d'habitation", in her case, does it apply?
I believe she can get relief if her income doesn't meet a threshold.
Are there any things to consider, that you could advise?
Many thanks :)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: French Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 1 year ago.


I shall try and answer your questions but I need to know whether you have contracted a civil union or a mariage with this person. And whether you, or she, is single, married, divorced... As this will determine the answer.