How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thegonnec Your Own Question
Thegonnec, Judge
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 1486
Experience:  15 years experience as judge at Paris Industrial Tribunal
Type Your French Law Question Here...
Thegonnec is online now

I am a British citizen, (Separated and currently finalizing

Customer Question

I am a British citizen, (Separated and currently finalizing the divorce in the courts)
My Child is Brazilian / British and hold both passports.
My Partner is Brazilian.I have been in brazil for the last 5 years, I have come back to this side of the world to finalize the divorce and deal with outstanding matters.
To keep working I have taken work in Monaco (full work visa issued) Not a perfect location but it closer than Brasil to deal with matters. (Living for the next 12 months in France)
Until I am full divorce i cant see a clear way to keep my partner close visa wise.So as a short term measure I was looking at applying for a long term visa for my partner for France. i am not sure if this will work or not.
Can you offer any hope or ideas
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: French Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can wait no problem
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 1 year ago.


Your partner may obtain a visa but it will have to be on her own merit. She cannot claim to be your partner, or being financially supported by you until you are officially divorced.

She will need to show she has a job in France or has the means to support herself financially independently to obtain a long term visa.



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok not the news i was hopping for but Ok.
As she has very little chance of achieving a work visa, we have to look at other options.
She dose have and income from Brasil from rental properties, I wonder if this would be enough to pass the financially independence test for France.
Could you please lay out what she would need in the form or paperwork to provide evidence for an extended period visa ( around 12 months)
What level of income would she need to show.
Accommodation requirements,
She already has health insurance.
along with any other proofs needed.I really hope we can resolve this or i will have to move jobs and country again.
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 1 year ago.

Basically she will need a long term visitor's visa. These are issued for 12 months max and renewable. And are the "easiest" (all is relative in those matters to secure).

Besides all ID and criminal record, she will need to provide French consular officers in Brazil with all information that will enable them to ascertain that she has enough regular legal income to live in France for 12 months. Either staying at a hotel or by taking on a short term tenancy lease. Depending on the region of France in which she will opt to settle this will vary between 2000 and 3000 €/months. This is a personalised assment made by consular officers. She will need to bring her tax returns for the last 3 years showing her rental income, bank statements, copies of leases. As for health insurance, she must show that she has purchased a contract covering all costs as well as emergency repatriation for the whole duration of her stay.