How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Peter Collins Your Own Question
Peter Collins
Peter Collins,
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 6861
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed
Type Your French Law Question Here...
Peter Collins is online now

I have lived in France and have owned and run a business

This answer was rated:

I have lived in France and have owned and run a business there. I have a French bank account and a small pension which is paid monthly into my account. I now live in England but wish to return to France as soon as possible. Am l eligible to apply for a carte de sejour before December 31st ?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I live in England and am a British citizen. I have had a carte de sejour before (1992). I returned to the UK for a while then returned to France as an EU citizen.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No, hence my call to you.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am hoping for advice on the possibility of obtaining the right to live in France based on the facts l have given.

Hello, my name is*****'m a barrister and I’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

You already have established links with France, so as I understand, providing you are physically present in France prior to December 31st and have made the move as a permanent move (rather than coming away for a short break for example) you should be able to successfully apply for the carte de sejour.

The new online portal is supposed to be a much simpler process than the previous system of applying, so fingers crossed it won't be too arduous a procedure.

I hope that this assists?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your reply. I clearly have to be resident in France to apply for a carte de sejour. I do not wish to sell my house in the UK at the moment so can l apply if l am renting a house?

Happy to assist.

You don't have to be a house owner in France to apply for the carte de sejour. You just have to have the intention to stay, which a long term rental contract will show. A holiday let would not have the same connotations, obviously.

I hope that clarifies things.

Peter Collins and other French Law Specialists are ready to help you