Peter Collins
Peter Collins,
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed
101823876

I would like to know what the procedure is to apply for a

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I would like to know what the procedure is to apply for a change of residence from the UK to France? I am a French citizen so is my daughter.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I live in the UK , I have a residence order but wish to apply from France to the European court and relocate in France.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Not yet my parents are old and sick and I really wish to go back to France but her father doesn’t us to relocate.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I made an application in the UK to relocate and told the UK judge that I could facilitate the contact via Skype and by taking back my daughter regularly to the UK but the application was denied in May. Should I just be there for my parents once the6 have passed away Inth8nk it is so unfair to keep me in the UK against my will.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How can I apply to the European court?

Hello, my name is***** for your patience.

I’ll do my best to assist you and I’m sorry that you are going through this. I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information. You may receive a phone call request which is from the site, not me, and you may choose to ignore this request.

Can you tell me - do you have a copy of the court order refusing your relocation and did you appeal that decision at the time?

Hello - I didn't hear from you regarding this. Do you have a copy of the court order refusing your application to relocate? Can you confirm whether you appealed or not? Thank you.

Hello. Without the information I asked for, I can only give you a general answer, but I hope this helps. You can always come back to me for clarification if needed.

The route to overturning the decision in the UK family court is via an appeal in the first instance. You can't apply to the European court until you have exhausted all possible options in the UK, which you have not yet done.

You normally have to appeal within 21 days of the court decision, so if more than this amount of time has passed you will need to explain why you did not apply sooner.

The form to apply is the N161 form, here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n161-appellants-notice-all-appeals-except-small-claims-track-appeals-and-appeals-to-the-family-division-of-the-high-court

You need to say in the application what your grounds of appeal are - this is the reasons that you think the judge made an error in law, in their understanding of the facts or if there was a procedural error that meant you did not have a fair trial.

You won't succeed if you are simply saying "I disagree with the judge" or "it is not fair" - so you need to have a think about the grounds and how you write these affects whether you will succeed or not.

I hope that this answers your question?

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please do let me know if you have any additional questions in the future. I am also happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you sorry for the late reply I didn’t get any notification from this portal so I had not realised that you had replied.

Thanks for confirming - happy to have helped.

Peter Collins,
Experience: Barrister at Self Employed