How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Attorney
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 4711
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your French Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

We purchased a property in division with my brother in 2007.

This answer was rated:

We purchased a property in division with my brother in 2007. There was a falling out and we left the property as they changed the locks and it became intolerable. We requested it be sold and they put barriers in the way and continued to live there. We went to court and in 2013 won the case to have it sold and be compensated. They appealed and in 2017 it was upheld to be sold but the compensation was quashed on the grounds that the property was big enough for us to live alongside them. This was obviously a ridiculous suggestion.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: They apparently failed to sign paperwork required for the sale to proceed and we then discovered upon visiting the property that they had abandoned it some years(?) before and it was derelict and vandalised. we abandoned the whole thing the stress and costs were too much for us. We remain in France in rented accommodation, I believe they returned to the U.K.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: it now turns out they have a court hearing to seek to sell the property but we no longer have any money to appoint an avocat to represent us. What happens if we do nothing?
JA: The Lawyer will be able to walk you through that. Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: can we write to their avocat to say we agree to the sale and thus prevent the court hearing?
Hi welcome to justanswer
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?

Thanks for your patience and enquiry.You are permitted to represent yourself you do. It have to instruct a solicitor.

Yes you can write to say you consent to the property being sold. I however would not recommend not turning up for the first hearing as a judgment could be made that is unfavorable to you in your absence. You could ask to participate in the hearing online. This facility is available.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you. The case comes up in the court at Agen, France at 09.00 on 21st September 2022. In the event, could or would you be willing to represent us online? Our french is not good enough.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have written a letter which I will send. If that is not successful, I would like to call and discuss you representing us.
Unfortunately I am unable to represent personally through this site. You would have to have a local solicitor assist. I am only able to advise on the legal implications of any decision you make
ReadyLaw and other French Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok thank you.

You are welcome