Brendan Joseph
Brendan Joseph, Consultant
Experience:  Brendan has worked as an expert for Ancestry.com specialising in Irish / British/ Canadian / Australia/ American research.
70223666

Looking for a James Conway the only details known are that

Looking for a James Conway the only details known are that he was Irish born in Galway around 1870s, lived in london around 1900 and was in the military though to be in the royal engineers. Lived in greenwich what can I do to find him

Hello there,

I will research your question, I live in Ireland, Did James marry and have children?

If he served in the Royal Engineers he will have a military record.

Brendan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I don't know if he married. The story is that he is my great grandfather, but he did not marry my great grandmother. He must have been living in green which area around 1902 as my grandfather was born in 1903. I think he was in the royal engineers. James Conway was not on the birth certificate. He was down as deceased on my grandparents marriage certificate in June 1931.

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,

There was a very large barracks in Woolwich 1900's, Woolwich is in the Greenwich registration district. The barracks belonged to the Royal Artillery. Most of the people from the West of Ireland joined the Connaught Rangers. It cuts the odds down a lot that he was not in the Rangers. He may not turn up 1901 census, he may have been posted to South Africa, Boer war.

I will see what I can find

Brendan

Hello Rebecca,

I have located a James Conway living in Greenwich 1914 / 1915

If you do not mind, please give me the name of your G grandfather and his mother.

I may pick him up in schools lists.

Brendan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My grandfathers name was Frederick XXXXX XXXXX and his mother was Emma lucinda Parker. He never knew his father that's why I'm having so much trouble finding him

Rebecca
Hi Rebecca,

I have checked the birth record, he was called John Frederick Parker. I believe the records below are in all probability your James. He called the child John after his father. The Frederick probably came from the mothers side.

Name: James Conway
Gender: Male
Christening Date:
Christening Place:
Birth Date: 13 Apr 1870
Birthplace: LOUGHREA, GALWAY, IRELAND
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: John Conway
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Anne Kane
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C70141-9
System Origin: Ireland-ODM
GS Film number: 101208
Reference ID:

Brendan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you Just a quick question, The birth register you checked, was that John Frederick (my grandfather) birth certificate, because the one that I have is father unknown.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Coul you just confirm what birth records you were talking about. As on my grandfathers birth certificate the father is unknown.