Brendan Joseph
Brendan Joseph, Consultant
Experience:  Brendan has worked as an expert for Ancestry.com specialising in Irish / British/ Canadian / Australia/ American research.
70223666

I have been trying to find out the date and place of birth

I have been trying to find out the date and place of birth of my great-grandfather. I have traced him to the late 1870s, when he was a bandsman on the HMS Active based in Simonstown, Cape Colony (now part of South Africa).

I assume the Royal Navy will have his personnel records somewhere, which I would love to have sight of. But I'm not quite sure what my next step should be - can you help, please? Many thanks.
Hello there,

I will research your question, what is your G grandfathers name?

Brendan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My great-grandfather's name isXXXXX

Hi Gavin,

Roughly what year was he born?

Brendan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't know, I'm afraid. His SA marriage record (date of marriage 19/09/1878) shows his age as "full", so all this indicates is that he was over 21 when he got married. Not much help, I know. But his bride was only 20, so I assume 'Enery was fairly young himself!

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Henry was born 28th November 1850 in Southampton, Hampshire, England, there is no death date, he must have left the navy.

Name Gough, Henry. Official Number: 61770. Place of Birth: Southampton, Hampshire. Date of Birth: 28 ...
Admiralty: Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services. Registers. Name Gough, Henry. Official Number: 61770. Place of Birth: Southampton, Hampshire. Date of Birth: 28 November 1850.
Collection:Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodiesDate range: 01 January 1873 - 31 December 1873 Reference:ADM 188/41/61770Subjects:Armed Forces (General), Navy

Brendan
Hi Gavin,

Thank you very much for your kind rating and very generous bonus.

Any more questions just state "For Brendan"

Brendan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear XXXXXn, on the basis of the info you provided to me, I ordered the birth certificate from the GRO. I had an e.mail from them today as follows:

"Birth certificate Henry Gough b.28/11/1850 in Southampton. We have searched the indices for events registered in England and Wales during the years specified (1849-1851). We have been unable to find any entry with the details you provided"'

I'm flummoxed! Could you perhaps advise me where I go from here?

Thank you - Gavin XXXXXX