Brendan Joseph
Brendan Joseph, Consultant
Experience:  Brendan has worked as an expert for Ancestry.com specialising in Irish / British/ Canadian / Australia/ American research.
70223666

Brendan, My grandfather was born in Waterford city in 1862

Hello Brendan, My grandfather was born in Waterford city in 1862 possibly 1863 as he mentioned both dates in his census records for
1891 1901 1911 and living in London.He must have emigrated from Ireland in the 1880,s.He married in London in 1894 and had five children including my father.Myfather told me he crossed the river to go to school probably the Christian brothers and his family were cattle traders.I appreciate that it is only catholic birth or baptism records one has to go on.I remember as a child aunts or uncles visiting ,normally to go to the races!! So he obviously had parents and brothers and sisters. Both my grandparents died before I was born. My grandfathers name was Joseph Patrick Walshe with Walshe with an E.I do not know how many walshes there were in Waterford city in the 1860,s .or are there records of people emigrating from Waterford to london.He turns up in Lambeth in 1891 lodging.
It would be nice to know a little more about my grandfathers early life in Ireland .He became a successful business man in London I guess starting from not a lot.
Thank you for your help.Robin D.E.Walshe.

Hello there,

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is Brendan, I will be researching your question today.

Brendan

Hi Robin,

Joseph Patrick died in Surrey December quarter 1945 age 82

Do you have a copy of his marriage to Maud 1894?

Brendan

Hi Robin,

Married 1892

Marriages Jun 1892 (>99%)

Baxfield Maude Susannah St. Saviour 1d433

Walshe Joseph Patrick St. Saviour 1d433

Joseph was born 21st March 1864, 1939 he was living in the Imperial Hotel, Eastbourne

Please see attached

Brendan

Hi Robin,

He was actually born 6th April 1964 in Michael's Street Waterford

Father James was a dealer

Please see attached

Brendan

Hi Robin,

His father is recorded as Walsh and Walshe on his baptism record

See attached

Bewndan

Hi Robin,

He only had one brother Patrick

See attached

I live in Ireland

Brendan

Hi Robin,

Thank you very much for your kind rating and very generous bonus.

Brendan

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi Brendan, what is a sponsor or informant .my great grandfather is James walsh and then James Walshe as an informant.?I am amazed at the information you have obtained .I was always told my great grandfather was a dealer in cattle or maybe horses.My grandfather definitely lived in the imperial hotel Eastbourne as I remember my father telling me this and even I after the war in the 50s as a small child visiting the imperial to see friends of my grandfathers.Finally the numbers after my grandparents marriage in st.saviours what do they represent. Thanks again Robin walshe

Hi Robin,

He is recorded as a dealer on the birth certificate.

I believe the father was also the godfather / sponsor

Dealer is quite unusual

You can order the marriage certificate online costs £11 when you have the reference numbers

Baxfield Maude Susannah Registration District St. Saviour Volume 1d Page 433

Walshe Joseph Patrick St. Saviour 1d433

Brendan

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you Brendan. To obtain the marriage certificate do I apply to the church?Also to obtain my grandfathers birth certificate and baptism record where do I go .Is it the Waterford library ? I could ask a friend to call in? Many thanks Robin.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Sorry Brendan, forgot to ask is it difficult to look further back to where great grand parents came from originally?

Hi Robin,

The Marriage was 1892

You register for free and apply here

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp

Details for application are above

Brendan

Hi Robin,

James father was Patrick he married Mary Mahony in St Mary's parish, Clonmel.

That may have been Mary's parish,

Brendan

Hi Robin,

I found another birth record

Looks like James was originally from Tipperary

Brendan

Hi Robin,

Correction, he was born in Waterford

Baptism record attached

Brendan

Hi Robin,

I have already sent you Joseph's civil birth registration.

His brother James registered the birth

Brendan

Hi Robin,

James Died in 1872 in Waterford.

Brendan

Forgot the attachment