Brendan Joseph
Brendan Joseph, Consultant
Experience:  Brendan has worked as an expert for Ancestry.com specialising in Irish / British/ Canadian / Australia/ American research.
70223666

I'm really stuck on tracing my great grandfather who was

Customer Question

Hi pearl. I'm really stuck on tracing my great grandfather who was born in 1869 in co. ANTRIM N. IRELAND according to the us
JA: The Genealogist will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Genealogist can help you best.
Customer: Us census 1901. Sommerville massachusttes. Born Feb 1869 co. Antrim. utler b
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Genealogist should know?
Customer: He immigrated to northern ireland and had a son Thomas francis Butler who died in 1903. Wifes name ellen boyle from aghadowey, agivey, Derry. Hes in the english census living in over keller Lancashire in 1911. Both him and his wife died in athy co. Kildare sometime in the 1930s I think?. His mothers name was ***** *****nan and his Fathers name was ***** *****. His children's names are. ***** *****ph. Jane( My grandmother) rose ann(rosie) william( born in northern ireland) all the rest were born in the us. I'd like to find out more about his parents and grandparents etc...I've no info on them. I'd like to go back as far as possible with the Butler side of my family.
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  Brendan Joseph replied 10 days ago.
Hello there,My name is***** will research your questionTodayBrendan

Hello there,

What name was the Butler born 1869

Brendan

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Brendan.
Thank you. I'd like to add that ***** ***** emigrated to the us in 1890 or 1891 and married Ellen boyle in boston in 1894. I hope this helps!

Hello there,

I live in Ireland.

I am looking for a ***** ***** born 1869 in Antrim

Brendan

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
please phone me at 15.00. My phone needs to charge up first. Thank you Brendan

Hello there,

Phone call does not work outside the US

Brendan

Hello there,

Please see attached the children of Thomas and ***** *****non.

They had twins born 1870 in Co. Meath

Brendan

Hello there,

Thomas and Jane marriage attached.

Brendan

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi Brendan.My grgrand father ***** ***** was born feb 1868 /1869. So I dont think that these Butlers were his parents as they married in 1870.Here's what I know so far..
Wm Butler DOB feb 1868/1869 +/- 1 year discrepancy.
Died and Buried in Athy Co. KILDARE 1930s OR 1940s or perhaps later.His Fathers name Thomas(francis maybe?) Butler. DoB approx 1843 Armagh Northern Ireland.
DOD 1916 Antrim. Northern ireland.Mothers Name ***** *****nan/Hannon DOB estimated 1847. Please see census of ireland 1911. Residents of no***** Upper ( Duncairn, Antrim).
I believe ***** *****non and William's Butlers Daughter Jane aged 20 IN 1911 (Born in Co. KERRY) emigrated to AustralIa and married a man called Quinn. She had a daughter in australia Valerie who married a man called (surname) MANN.
Valerie MANN had 3 sons. GEOFFREY, MICHAEL AND STEPHEN.
They have been to visit me from australia. They reconnected with my family by letter in the 1990s when they stumbled across an old letter from my Grand mother Jane (Butler). Who was william and Ellen's (daughter).
So I'm not sure if things are adding up with the records you supplied. Can you have another look please?
Expert:  Brendan Joseph replied 8 days ago.

Hello there,

Baptism record of your Sarah attached.

William was born before Thomas and Jane married.

He is not turning up in civil registration 1864-1870

Brendan

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Brendan.
Thanks for the information you've provided me with. I am amazed at the fact that my ancestors were not married and had a child/ children out of wedlock here in Ireland of all places!. I just need to know if this was common in your opinion? Was it because of the penal laws here at the time?. I have mass bushes, mass rocks and mass paths all around here a necessity back then because Catholics were not allowed to practice their religion. Could it be the case that they had to wait for a priest to come to their local Mass Rock to marry them or is there another reason they were not married before having children?.
They moved around ireland quiet alot was this common? Was it for employment or why did this happen?. I need to pick your brains for this as I'm stunned and curious?.
Thank you Brendan.
Sinead.

Hi Sinead,

Life was pretty normal in the early 1870's.

You got married in a church.

I will have another look for your William.

Brendan

Hi Sinead,

Birth record for Jane attached.

Mother ***** *****non

Brendan

Expert:  Brendan Joseph replied 7 days ago.

Hi Sinead,

Marriage for Catherine attached.

Brendan

Hi Sinead,

Who di William marry?

Brendan

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Butler married Ellen Boyle in April 1894 in sommerville Massachusetts. I have their marriage cert. He was born 1868 or 1869 co Antrim northern ireland. Ellen was from landagivey co Derry. Her father was John Boyle. Her mother was margaret Jane AKA ( peggy) Loghrie sometimes spelt loughery. I have found them in the census of england in 1911, in over kellet. Lancashire. Where he lived with his wife and children before returning to Ireland.
I cannot find any travel information on this Butler family I dont know when they left Boston. I just know they had a son called Thomas francis Butler who died in Belfast NI 1903 and had a son in 1910 born in belfast called after his father William.
I can not trace any documents in Ireland or England for the ***** ***** of 1868/69 . Except for the census mentioned above.
Thank you Brendan.
Sinead
Expert:  Brendan Joseph replied 6 days ago.

Hi Sinead,

I wonder was he born under a different forename and

then changed to William.

Brendan