Brendan Joseph
Brendan Joseph, Consultant
Experience:  Brendan has worked as an expert for Ancestry.com specialising in Irish / British/ Canadian / Australia/ American research.
70223666

I wonder if you could help me. I am an Irish citizen and my

Hi there! I wonder if you could help me. I am an Irish citizen and my mother, who has passed away, was a German citizen who lived in Ireland but never took out Irish citizenship. I have applied for German citizenship but the German authorities want proof from the Irish authorities that my mother never had Irish citizenship (I know she didn't). Do you know which authority I could approach in Ireland who could confirm that she didn't have it? I have been on to the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Department of Justice, but so far they haven't provide me with useful advice. I realise this isn't a typical question for you, but if you happened to know who I could turn to, or if there is some sort of data base in Ireland that could confirm the fact that my mum never took out Irish citizenship, I would be more than delighted! Tim C
JA: The Genealogist will know what to do. Is there anything else the Genealogist should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Great
Hello there,
My name is***** live in Ireland, I will research your question
Brendan
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi Brendan. Do you understand my question? Tim

Hi Tim,

I answered a question with the same problem last year..

I advised the customer to make FOI ( freedom of information) request to the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs.

The question asked did the Department hold any information that she had been issued with an Irish Passport.

You supply her name and birth date, you can explain the reason,

state that she is deceased, no GDPR if she is deceased.

The customer received a reply within 2 days.

Apply here:***@******.***

Brendan

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thanks Brendan. Very helpful! Tim

Hi Tim,

It worked, they have to answer a FOI request.

If necessary can you prove her death.

Brendan

Hi Tim,

Explain the situation to them in the FOI.

They are usually very helpfull

Brendan

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Great, thanks. I tried Foreign Affairs who put me onto Justice...but I think your suggestion is excellent. Do you happen to know if there is a fee for FOI?

FOI is free

Brendan

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ah, brilliant. Thanks for the info and have a great weekend. Tim

Hello Tim,

My pleasure

Brendan

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Hi Brendan. Just to let you know that Foreign Affairs got back to me and said it was a matter for the Dept of Justice. So I've just sent on the request to FOI in Justice. It's beginning to turn into an episode of Yes, Minister! I'll keep you posted. Fingers crossed. Cheers, Tim

Hi Tim,

That was fast I hope Justice get back to you quickly

Brendan