Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years of experience as a Research Librarian.
70951075
Type Your Question Here...

L have recently bought an upholstered Knoll two seater

Customer Question

HI, l have recently bought an upholstered Parker Knoll two seater recliner and unfortunately, yesterday, l left a small bottle of mineral water on one of the seats.To my dismay the cap on the bottle was loose which allowed the mineral water to seep into the seat leaving behind a faint brown ring stain. Can you advice me what to do.
Many thanks,Michela
Category: General
Expert:  Michael replied 4 months ago.

Hello, thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am Michael, a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Good afternoon Michela,

So sorry to hear that this happen to your new recliner. As for ways to repair, consider first what Parker Knoll suggests:

"We recommend you carefully vacuum your upholstery at least once a week to keep it in good condition. Accumulated dust and dirt can accelerate the wear of your Sofa and cause colours to dull. We also recommend that you do not use any soap or detergents on fabrics as upholstery fabric are not 100% colourfast. Excessive wetting could cause shrinkage. Minor soiling can be removed by using proprietary dry foam cleaner available from most furniture stores. Please test before applying to the whole area and follow instructions for use. It is advisable to have any heavily soiled upholstery cleaned by a Professional Service."

Also:

"Dust weekly with a clean soft cloth. Clean quarterly by wiping over with a lukewarm mild solution or pure natural soaping agent, using a damp cloth or soft sponge in a circular motion. If you are using a sponge, work the sponge to achieve a lather; it is better to use the suds to clean with. Any accidental spills should be mopped up immediately with an absorbent tissue or a soft, clean cloth. Always work from the outside of the spill towards the centre, to prevent it spreading. This is important to avoid a stain. Then follow the ‘soaping’ cleaning procedure. Never use:- polishes, creams, detergents, leather food, solvents, varnishes, white spirit or stain removers. They will damage the leather beyond repair. We advise that in the event of severe soiling, you should consult your original retailer where you purchased your furniture."

I would also consider these tips from the San Francisco Chronicle as they have an excellent home improvement section in their paper:

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/clean-water-marks-upholstered-chair-96418.html

I hope that the information provided has been found helpful. Also if you could please take a second to rate my assistance so that I know my help was found useful.

Take care,

Librarian Michael

Expert:  Michael replied 4 months ago.

Take care,

Librarian Michael