How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Your Own Question
James, Consultant
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 8582
Experience:  BSc (Hons)
Type Your Question Here...
James is online now

Please help me. My electricity bill is 189 a month as I left

This answer was rated:

Hello. Please help me. My electricity bill is 189 a month as I left the heating on in the bathroom they said I owe them 600 pounds and that I have to pay 189 a month. I am on universal credits and can not afford that. What can I do. I am more than happy to pay 100 a month.

Do you own or rent the property where you have incurred the electricity bill?

James and 50 other General Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I rent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry can we just talk I can’t afford a telephone call.

The challenge you have is the electric was consumed, over what period was the heater left on (was it days, weeks or months)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was on for 6 months. They say I owe them 600. I’m not saying I won’t pay them but I am a single women on my own. I can’t possibly use 189 pounds a month electricity and back pay.

Understood, who is the utility provider?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SSE. Southern electric.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there James?

I am still here, it can take some time for experts to respond.

SSE have a accounts payable department, if you explain you have issues with affordability and prepared to share with them details of your income and expenditure they should be able to agree an 'affordable' repayment, otherwise just state you cant pay and want a pre-payment meter.

Where customers cant pay they pass the debt to debt collectors, and they will in most cases accept any reasonable offer, and only give a percentage back to SSE so its in the utility companies interest to work with you and agree an affordable amount.

Do let me know if you need me to clarify anything.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
James thank you so so much. I really appreciate your help. Have an amazing day. God bless.