James
James, Consultant
Experience:  BSc (Hons)
75967336
Type Your Question Here...

I'm working as part-time cleaner. My employer diceded that

Customer Question

I'm working as part-time cleaner.
My employer diceded that from now on I must login and logout by the phone when I start and when I finish the job
7 years ago when I start this is not in my contract. Can the employer do this? This is not a breach of contract?
Thank you very much.
John
Category: General
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hi John,

Are you paid hourly, and previously had to submit time sheets (in some form or other)?

The phone you have to login to, is this your personal phone or a work phone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm paid hourly. Previously I never submit time sheets.
Is a work phone.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

The request wouldnt be deemed unreasonable as in essence its the introduction of a time sheet system, and could be argued its in your favour to demonstrate the hours your working.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

However if the mechanism were to significantly inconvenience such as take you more than say 10 minutes each day which impacted your pay then you could look to seek compensation (eg have 15 mins added each day to the hours shown on the phone log.

So in short its the employers right to introduce such a system where there is a substantial change you would normally go through consultation after which you can then serve notice and leave or adopt the new process,

Are there any concerns you have about this new process?