Cher
Cher, Teacher
Experience:  Masters Level Educator,Tutor 35+ yrs.; Author, Senior Internet Researcher, Trivia Master
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

Thanks for your assistance with last question. I had read

Thanks for your assistance with last question. I had read that some of the hot springs in the area are very dangerous to swim or bathe in. Why is that.

You're most welcome!

Yellowstone offers very limited opportunities to swim or soak. High-elevation lakes and rivers swollen with snowmelt, make for very cold water, where hypothermia always presents a risk. On the other end of the temperature spectrum, the water in the park hot springs, often reaches the boiling point, so, very dangerous to bathe in.

I hope this helped.

Before leaving this page, please be so kind as to issue a positive rating for my answer, as this is the only way in which I will receive credit for my assistance from the website. A 5-star rating would be greatly appreciated! The ratings/stars area is on the top of your page, or on the bottom, if using a mobile device. Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Cher

Thank you very much for your great rating; it is highly appreciated!

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Great reply. I read that some of the hot springs can also be very acidic or alkaline. . What would happen to this guy if he was to try and go for a swim in one of these pools.

The acidity or alkalinity would not matter; if someone were to try to swim in any of the hot springs, due to the danger of hypothermia from some or be killed by the boiling temperatures of others, as mentioned in the previous answer.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks. If the guy in picture went for a dip in the same spring as the guy that slipped into it in November 2016 what exactly would happen to him. Thanks .

Sorry for the delayed reply; I was offline when you posted back, however I'm about to sign offline for the night, as it is very late for me. I will get back to you when I come back online, tomorrow (Sunday), mid-afternoon (Eastern time). Thank you for your patience!

Hi, again and thank you for waiting.

I found an article regarding the man who slipped and fell into the Norris Hot Springs in Yellowstone, approximately 3 years ago. The answer to your question is that the body completely dissolved and that's what would happen to the guy you have in the picture, too. This happened because The parks' geyers and springs are acidic (as you asked earlier) because they are fed by thermal water, deep underground, that picks up sulfuric acid as it rises to the surface. The sulfuric acid is produced by microorganisms that break down hydrogen sulfide in rocks and soil.

Here is the article, if you would like to read it:

https://www.cnn.com/2016/11/17/us/yellowstone-man-dissolved-trnd/index.html

--------- (ignore the adverts, below the article)

So, because the hot springs and geysers are acidic, combined with the very high temperatures they contain, a human who accidentally fell in one of them would dissolve--everything would dissolve.

I hope this helped you further and I cannot answer any more questions for you in this thread, as we're only allowed to answer one question per request. I'm sure you understand. : )

Best regards,

Cher

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks for your help.

You're most welcome!