Gaurav Gupta
Gaurav Gupta, MD
Experience:  Physician and online researcher.
239748
Type Your Question Here...

I have been recommended differin adapalene gel to get rid of

Customer Question

I have been recommended differin adapalene gel to get rid of my fordyce spots. Does this get rid of them?
Category: General
Expert:  Gaurav Gupta replied 3 months ago.

Good day to you,
Thank you for trusting Just Answer. I am Dr, Gupta. I'm board-certified physician with over 20 years experience. I have been reviewing your concern and I very much would like to help. The computer system will generate a phone call request if that is something you would like to consider as well. Otherwise, I am happy to chat with you here too.
Your concerns are quite appropriate in the current situation.
I will be answering them in the next few minutes,
Kind regards,

To answer your question, there has been much more experience with the use of Retin-A for treating Fordyce spots.

Topical treatments to shrink or remove Fordyce spots include bichloracetic acid, topical tretinoin (Avita, Retin-A), and oral isotretinoin (Sotret, Claravis).

Your doctor may recommend combining these topical treatments with laser treatments. They may produce side effects, such as inflammation and a burning sensation.

Other treatments

Other treatments include electrodessication/cauterization.

What’s the outlook for Fordyce spots?

Fordyce spots generally fade in time without treatment. The important thing is to realize they’re normal. They aren’t a disease. The majority of people have them.

Fordyce spots are a natural and harmless occurrence. If your spots are making you uncomfortable for cosmetic reasons, discuss possible treatments with your doctor. There’s no scientific evidence that home remedies help remove these spots.

Don’t pick or squeeze Fordyce spots. This won’t make them go away, and it can cause infections to develop.

Adapalene is similar to Retin-A but is generally less irritating to the skin and also slightly less effective, so yes it may help get rid of your Fordyce spots, try it for a couple of weeks to see if this makes a difference,

Warm regards