How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Claudia Schiessl Your Own Question
Claudia Schiessl
Claudia Schiessl, Attorney
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 106
Experience:  I have been a practicing attorney for 20 years now with a broad experience in all kinds of law.
Type Your German Law Question Here...
Claudia Schiessl is online now

Father in care home I cant afford to pay for

Customer Question

Hi, my Father is now in an elderly care home which the Social welfare/ Government is paying for. I live in England, on a German passport, have two children with my husband who is not German. I have not lived in Germany for over 10 years, I was not born there and have lived/worked there 2 years. I cannot speak fluent German. I cannot afford to pay for the care home costs of my Father, I am a stay-at-home mother and have not worked for almost 6 years since having children. Now, today I received a yellow form - SGB XII form requesting all my personal information about income and spending/assets etc. I don't live in Germany and I live in England, my cost of living here in England and my young children's needs here in England are not being taken into consideration in this standard Euro form which is completely in German and which I mostly cannot understand. I have looked up on Google and it seems a great many people end up facing huge financial demands from the Government regarding care of the elderly there. It seems very unfair and unjust, so I wanted to ask you, what are my rights in this situation. What happens if I just ignore this yellow form - I can't understand it, it seems a violation of my rights and I don't live in Germany. I explained to the social worker who helped my Father relocate out of his flat a month ago, to move into the care home, that I could not afford the costs of the care home. My husband and I are renting a flat, we have debts and we have hardly any money left at the end of the month after buying food, paying rent etc. Please could you advise me as to what is the best thing to do, I don't want my Fathers welfare at his care home to be compromised and he is very unwell but at the same time, I don't want my children, husband and I to end up with nothing and scraping by at the end of the month with no quality of life at all. I look forward to your help in this regards, XXXXX XXXXX Emmy
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: German Law