How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Claudia Schiessl Your Own Question
Claudia Schiessl
Claudia Schiessl, Attorney
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 17634
Experience:  I have been a practicing attorney for 20 years now with a broad experience in all kinds of law.
Type Your German Law Question Here...
Claudia Schiessl is online now

I am looking for some legal advice and I was wondering if you

This answer was rated:

I am looking for some legal advice and I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction.
In 2012 both my mother and my aunt died in Germany. My sister and I inherited in equal parts in both cases. We are German citizens but I have been living in the UK since 1991. At the time my sister asked my to sign a piece of paper giving her power of attorney to deal with the authorities, banks etc. It made sense at the time, however since then she has broken off almost all contact with me.
Earlier this year I formally asked her for an update in each case and some supporting documentation, partly for myself to get an idea about the estate and also to work out if I would have to pay any tax in this country. I also expressed the wish to settle with her. Apart from one abusive email she ignored my repeated requests to resolve this.
I am now considering the legal route and I need somebody to advise me as to the best course of action. I tried the German embassy but they only give general advice on German inheritance law and do not provide legal advice in individual cases of dispute. Could you tell me who I could turn to for advice and/or who might potentially be prepared to take on a case like this?
Dear Customer,
Thank you so much for your question.
My name is***** and I am happy to assist you today.
You have to write to the sister, set a deadline and demand information.
As you are both heirs you have the same rights to get information and access to the inheritance
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for this. I wrote to her at the end of June with a deadline to provide information by 1 October. I repeated my request in mid-September. Nothing has been forthcoming. Where do I go from here?

Dear Customer,
ThenI would recommend writing to the guardianship court for the matter to be looked into.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I will try that. can you suggest anybody in the UK who might be able to assist me in that matter?

No alas I do not know anyone in the UK
Because he or she would have to write to Betreuungsgericht Lohr in German and suggest looking into a possible guardianship.
If I have helped I would very much appreciate getting a positive rating
thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am getting confused now. How would a Betreungsgericht help me in this inheritance matter? I want my sister to give me information about my share and settle financially.

Dear Customer,
oops I am sorry , the questions got confused.
I had one that was similar to yours
You can turn to any lawyer in the UK who just demands the informatio and threatens with legal action she does not come over with it
If I have helped a positive rating would be appreciated
Claudia Schiessl and other German Law Specialists are ready to help you