How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Claudia Schiessl Your Own Question
Claudia Schiessl
Claudia Schiessl, Attorney
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 17603
Experience:  I have been a practicing attorney for 20 years now with a broad experience in all kinds of law.
Type Your German Law Question Here...
Claudia Schiessl is online now

I moved from Germany to the UK over 30 years ago, I am retired

This answer was rated:

I moved from Germany to the UK over 30 years ago, I am retired (but still doing some paid jobs) and receive a UK pension from my work as a research scientist from one of the Research Councils. My mother who suffers dementia has been transferred by german social services to a care home, I have no power of attorney and have not signed or agreed to the move (although I am happy with this solution). Social services in Germany came now back to me and request that I should pay for my mother's care. What is the legal situation as I do not have any income in EURO and 1) do I need to pay at the moment Euro 6000 pm (which I don't have) or 2) as all is based on my German assets is my lack of money in Germany enough to avoid payment and 3) do I need to reveal my assets in the UK (I own a house)?
Dear Customer,
Thank you so much for your question.
My name is***** and I am happy to assist you today.
As your mother has a legal claim against you that you pay for her upkeep you are also obliged to reveal your income.
It does not matter in which country this income is generated.
It also does not matter whether you agreed to the move or not
What you have to do however is point out the much higher costs of living in the UK so they will have to adapt their ususal method of calculation
I hope I was able to help you. Should you have any further questions please be my guest. I shall try to answer them as soon as possible. If i have helped I would very much appreciate getting a positive rating. This is how I get credit for my work . Thank you so much, your business is very valuable to us.
Claudia Schiessl and other German Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As the lawyer points out the UK is different and potentially more expensive. I do take on board that there is a legal claim against my income (=salary) but I assume that assets (like my house or car) are not taken into consideration.
Dear Customer,
yes itis just about your income NOT your assets