How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Claudia Schiessl Your Own Question
Claudia Schiessl
Claudia Schiessl, Attorney
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 17909
Experience:  I have been a practicing attorney for 20 years now with a broad experience in all kinds of law.
Type Your German Law Question Here...
Claudia Schiessl is online now

My Mother, who came to England from Germany 65 years ago and

This answer was rated:

My Mother, who came to England from Germany 65 years ago and took on British Citizenship, but I believe also retained her German citizenship died last year aged 97.
She had a bank account in Germany into which she paid a small pension. She used this account when she visited Germany (once a year) to see her relatives or just visited Germany.
We obtained probate in England and applied and received German probate (Erbschein) to request the balance from the German account.
We have now received several forms from the German Inheritance Tax office and I feel that if she lived in England and England has processed her estate we do not need to complete these forms.
Any advice you can give would be appreciated.
Dear Customer, thank you so much for your question .
There is no agreement between Germany and the UK to avoid double taxation .As she retained her German citizenship she is subject to taxation according to section 2 Nr 1c of the Erbschaftsteuergesetz but only if the assets are for example real estate.So the bank account is not subject to taxation but as the inland revenue does not know what is going on and your mother probably is a German National you still need to fillin the forms they sent youI hope I was able to help you. Should you have any further questions please be my guest. I shall try to answer them as soon as possible. If i have helped I would very much appreciate getting a positive rating. This is how I get credit for my work . Thank you so much, your business is very valuable to us.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Dear Claudia
Thank you for your reply. To clarify - are you saying I only need to identify the assets my Mother has in Germany, i.e. her German bank account, and none of her assets in England, on the German inheritance forms?
The forms are in German and although I have had help to translate them some of the words are difficult to explain in English. Would you be able to help me with terminology and if so how much would you charge?Thank you for your help so far.
Dear Customer, yes , fill in the forms. As you do not owe inheritance tax it is a necessary formality .Yes , of course I can helpMy fees depend on how much there is to complete , how much time it will takeI do not know that yetAnd of course we would need to close the question by you giving a positive ratingI give you my email address so I can have a look at the forms
Claudia Schiessl and other German Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please can you send me your email so I can send forms. My phone number is ***** My email is***@******.***
it isSchiessllaw(at)gmail( dot)com
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
IDear ClaudiaI have sent two emails with the documents attached. Please confirm you have received them. I look forward to hearing from you
Just a sec