How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Claudia Schiessl Your Own Question
Claudia Schiessl
Claudia Schiessl, Attorney
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 19263
Experience:  I have been a practicing attorney for 20 years now with a broad experience in all kinds of law.
Type Your German Law Question Here...
Claudia Schiessl is online now

I am a 50 year British citizen living in the UK. I was

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am a 50 year British citizen living in the UK. I was together with and married to a German woman for a total of around 12 years. We have 2 children together, Mailin my daughter is 20 and Joshua my son is 18. We separated when my son was 1 year old and divorced a year after that.Ever since separating, I have paid child support according to the Dusseldorf table and, as far as I can remember, have never missed a payment.My daughter, 20, was at university but decided to drop out in March this year. My son, after some trouble, managed to finish school with some qualifications. He has been looking for an apprenticeship for several months. I do not have contact with my ex wife or children, this was their choice not mine. I have stopped the payments to my daughter as she is not in advance learning but am still paying my son, even though he is basically unemployed.I have a few of questions that I hope you might be able to help me with.If my daughter decides to go back to university, do I have to resume her payments?
How long do I have to keep the payments going for my son whilst he, supposedly, is looking for an apprenticeship?
As a British citizen living in the UK, am I still bound by the Dusseldorf table for the amount I pay or am I bound by English law?
I thank you in advance for taking the time to have a look at my questions.Kind regardsSimon Brown
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Dear Customer,Sorry you had to wait and welcomeIn order to Help you I need you to answer me a few questions the first question is is your daughter still living at home?
The second question is when in her academic career did your daughter drop out of university
Was there a reason for thatYou do not need to pay for your son. You only need to pay if he is actively doing some education,.
not when he is unemployedThere is however an exception.There is a so called orientation phase which is the time between finishing school and looking for a jobThe length of this phase is calculated differently by different courts.But this can only be a few months.As the children are living in Germany German law is applicable.Please note that according to terminal once the children are 18 the mother is liable for child-support as well
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Good morning, thank you very much for answering so quickly, there really no need to apologise.
My daughter is not living at home, she has her own rented flat in Flensburg. She dropped out at the end of her second year because she could not be bothered to get out of bed. She stopped going in Feb 2019, but I found out in June. In the mean time she was taking money from both me and my ex wife.
I forgot to mention that my son lives at home with his mother in a house owned by her parents in a village called Krabbenkamp, SH.
Very many thanks again.
Kind regards
Dear Simon,if she dropped out and it was not just because she decided to read a different subject ( which would again be orientation ) then you do not need to pay any longer.She also tricked you by not telling you.According to German Law she has the obligation to tell you how her studies are proceeding and is also obliged to finish her education in an appropriate time.She has to show you paperwork so you can control how her studies are proceeding.So if I were you I’d stop payment.If however there is some kind of deed about support like a court order or a formal agreement that has to be changed in an official way i.e by going to court ( if the children are not willing to renounce on the rights of that deed)

Dear Simon,

if I have helped a 3-5 stars rating not only expresses your appreciation for my service but also gives me credit thus ensuring that there is always someonme there to help you out in English

Claudia Schiessl, Attorney
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 19263
Experience: I have been a practicing attorney for 20 years now with a broad experience in all kinds of law.
Claudia Schiessl and other German Law Specialists are ready to help you