Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Does a German inheritance applies to a uk citizen if i just

Customer Question

does a German inheritance applies to a uk citizen if i just entertained from a none born German citizen
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: uk ,and no i havent
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: yes a lawyer in germany
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Category: German Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 15 days ago.

Expert:  Joshua replied 15 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

May I clarify what you refer to when you ask does a German inheritance "apply" to a UK citizen please? Have you been left an inheritance by a German will/citizen?

Expert:  Joshua replied 15 days ago.

I'm following up on the above. Without some further information from you as above, I am limited in what I can say on the matter but in the hope it is helpful nonetheless, I will provide you with the following broad answer. If you are able to kindly provide me with the above further information or if you have any further questions generally, I will be delighted to expand on the following - please just reply back to me in this case:

Notwithstanding the above, in general terms there is no condition or exclusion under English law as regards ***** ***** comes from. If you have been left money in a German estate, then there is no barrier upon you receiving this in English law. There is no tax levied by HMRC in relation to a foreign inheritance though there may be tax levied by the German government on the same.

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me