How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TheLawLDN Your Own Question
TheLawLDN, Lawyer
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 389
Experience:  Expert
Type Your German Law Question Here...
TheLawLDN is online now

I am planning on moving to Germany and I need to apply for a

This answer was rated:

Hi I am planning on moving to Germany and I need to apply for a job-seeking visa. I have the relevant qualifications, experience of 6 years in my field and potential employment in Germany already. I was wondering how long the visa process usually takes, how long I will need to be without my passport and when I can potentially conceive moving. I have some work in Germany and Finland in the first week of October, and I will obviously need to travel for that, so I was wondering if I started the application process now, whether I would potentially be able to get my visa before? Or whether I should wait until I have completed my travel in October?
JA: Just to clarify, which visa specifically are you asking about?
Customer: Job-seeking visa
JA: Have you already talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am hoping to work mainly on a freelance basis, as I am a professional instrument repair technician and orchestral musician, so I need to be able to work on a freelance basis

Hello, I'm an adviser with JA and I will try to help you.

Please note the following:

  1. Do not provide personal information/data here. Please note that, under UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) ‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural ­person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
  2. If you request a call, this can be either with me or with another expert that is available to pick your request.
  3. This service is intended for general information only, not advice, and does not include the examination of documents.
  4. JA does not provide legal representation and no client/lawyer relationship of any kind will be established.
  5. If you need (urgent) legal representation or advice, or answering your question requires the examination of documents and/or non-straightforward activity that falls outside the remit of this service, you should consider consulting a solicitor – and/or a barrister as the case may be – which you can look for at the following links:

Hello, can you please clarify what your nationality is and where do you live?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
UK citizen
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I live in the UK too

And do I get it right that you plan to work in Germany as a self-employed?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I plan to work there on a freelance/self-employed basis, as I will not have one fixed employer.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have at least two potential employers who have agreed to give me work already

You may probably know that, as a British citizen, you share, with the nationals of few other countries, the privilege of being able to apply to the local immigration office in Germany for a residence permit after arrival in Germany and without having obtained a visa prior to travelling to Germany.

The residence in Germany must be registered residence with the authorities within 2 weeks of having moved in AND you must apply to the local immigration office (“Ausländerbehörde”) for your residence permit within the first 90 days of your stay in Germany.

You may only take up employment once you have been issued a residence permit explicitly authorising such employment.

Based on the information from the German Embassy in London, processing times for national visas can vary from about 2 weeks for some categories of employment to up to six months for self-employed professionals, which means that an application must be submitted well in advance.

My suggestion is therefore that you contact the German Embassy to get as much information as possible based on your circumstances.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best.

Please do not hesitate to contact JA again if you need help and you may ask to speak with me directly if you wish ("For TheLawLDN only").

I would appreciate it if you could provide a positive rating, if you wish so of course.

Thank you very much.


Customer: replied 10 days ago.
That is very helpful, thank you. I have one more question. I have been travelling to Germany on and off for the last few months and I have used about 60 days of my 90 day quota in the Schengen area. If I choose to just move to Germany and register on arrival, will these 60 days affect my 90 day quota as you have suggested, or will I have a renewed 90 days once I arrive?

This service is not meant for legal advice and I cannot make any calculation about the allowance.

But I would say that if you have used part of the allowance and you travel to Germany as a visitor, you have just the remaining part and, if you want to count on the full 90-day term, you must wait for the allowance to reset.

Double-check this with the Embassy, but I tend to think this is the correct answer.

TheLawLDN and other German Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** helpful, I will contact the German Embassy in London. Many thanks for your advice. Kind regards

You are welcome.