Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your device.
If you still need help with this update, let me send the requirements that you will need - to update this device.
How to Update Garmin Nuvi Software & Maps.
What is needed?
1) A WORKING device with some previous version of maps installed.
2) A computer and USB cable (to be able to connect the device to the computer).
3) An SD card (or microSD & SD adapter) of 4GB or 8GB (maximum) capacity. This MAY be optional, but is HIGHLY recommended.
4) A current copy of "Garmin Express" installed on your computer. This is Garmin's recommended program (tool) for doing any updates, including device software AND maps. If you need to get a copy of Garmin Express, use the link below.
Click Here --> http://software.garmin.com/express.html
BASIC steps to update the Nuvi:
1) Fully CHARGE and TEST the Nuvi (to verify good battery life).
2) Connect device to computer via USB cable, run Garmin Express to update unit software ONLY.
2a) Safely Remove device from computer and TEST again - for proper operation after software update.
3) Connect device to computer again, run Garmin Express to update maps (installed SD card before this operation.
3b) Safely Remove device from computer and TEST again - for proper operation after map update.
That's the basic requirements and process.
Please let me know how it goes or if you have any more questions.
And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you today.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.
Thanks, ***** *****